Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logbook

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Moleskin. Small format for carry-around lists and notes, large format for logbook. Worth the extra money because we keep these invaluable personal records for a lifetime.
    Yes, I agree with that. I am inclined to go with a nice log which will last. I keep a daily journal outside sailing and try to keep up both the log and the journal when I am aboard the boat. There is a lot of overlap though because I find it difficult to stick with "just the facts" in the log book.

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    I keep what I call a Story Log. I use a little notebook of regular paper. When it is full I start another one. I write a few observations about who sailed in the boat, where we went, what we did. I encourage guests to write the day's entry. I especially encourage children to write or draw. My Story Log is not intended as a legal document, it is a method to help remember the joy of sailing. SDK
    Totally agree with this. I have a motorboat and have guests and kids do the log entries. It is a great way to gather the story. Only a few rules about recording distance and places and engine hours, other than that, open season. On the sailboat I am almost always alone so me writing the log is sort of a done deal.

By the way, it is interesting to observe how much trouble some folks have documenting a day in the life. It's like writers block...weird. Kids always have something to say or draw.

Bought this one from Earthworksjournals in the UK. Really nice!

Name:  journal.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  131.5 KB

Wow! And monogrammed, too. Really nice

Yea, the Husband/Wife team that make these bespoke journals are really helpful too. For 20 quid extra they will do a custom cover with boat name and an SSS logo. I may be tempted come next summer.

Ok ... So I looked up all the references here and none came with waterproof paper. Anyone has one with waterproof paper they like?
    Would anyone be interested in sharing the cost of printing a custom log book on waterproof paper?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Ok ... So I looked up all the references here and none came with waterproof paper. Anyone has one with waterproof paper they like?
    Would anyone be interested in sharing the cost of printing a custom log book on waterproof paper?
    or you could save a ton of money and buy a small waterproof bag for your log. But I do understand your dilemma, when your not sIling your O 30 you can enjoy the lush rainforest inside.

http://www.rainwriter.com/Rite-in-th...itr-374-mx.htm

Draw your own columns as needed.....

Ok ... so I have used a write in the rain small log before. It got wet quickly in the Olson 30. Even on the Clipper boats where the nav table is well aft and protected from the elements the log book gets wet (because when you write in the log book ... you're dripping water be it sweat, spray, rain or spill).

I like the idea of logging in a neat somehow formal document. It may make more accountable ... go figure.

I think for solo sailors the logbook should have parts for the sailing, the boat and the skipper. Forget guest entries, unless you're thinking boobies :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Ok ... so I have used a write in the rain small log before. It got wet quickly in the Olson 30. Even on the Clipper boats where the nav table is well aft and protected from the elements the log book gets wet (because when you write in the log book ... you're dripping water be it sweat, spray, rain or spill).

I like the idea of logging in a neat somehow formal document. It may make more accountable ... go figure.

I think for solo sailors the logbook should have parts for the sailing, the boat and the skipper. Forget guest entries, unless you're thinking boobies :-)
    You could go simple, punch holes in this unlined weatherproof copy paper and load into a binder.

https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-All...of+paper&psc=1

This is kind of an intriguing product. Not cheap tho.

Edit, just saw Sled's idea. That looks better.