Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vallejo 1-2 Race Octoberfest!!

Long and hot as it was aboard Dura Mater over the weekend, at least I got to sail. Thank you, Race Committee, for your patience and optimism all day Saturday and Sunday. I recognized Kristen Sotebier's voice, and assume that Rick Elkins was behind the curtain. Greg Ashby and Tom Boussie, I believe? And John Woodworth, he of Transpac fame, who intends to skim across the water in 2018 with all his new and beautiful sails. Have I missed anyone? Thank you. Thank you for all your planning and best laid plans, and for ordering up the weather, which was lovely in spite of the lack of wind.

Great conversations Saturday afternoon/evening, connecting with friends I hadn't seen in awhile, and a boat-to-boat hand-off of lemon bread in the raft-up. What's not to like?

I have some photos, including DM's parasol and beauteous spinnakers flying down the river. I need to do some editing on them (too much water and sky and too little boats) but will try to do that tonight.

I could see the R/C on RYC's platform while I put the boat away. It looked hot up there but they persevered. After a long afternoon with no customers they eventually packed up. Thanks to all!

Racers, my apologies. I ordered wind before the V1-2 race only to find out it was cancelled because my credit card was maxed out with too many Mai Tai's from my vacation before the start....The race was a fitting ending to my RC career with the first postponement (more than one) I have ever done in two years, AND the first time a singlehanded sailor fell off his boat, AND, NO finishers to a race (sun)...PS did I mention we are looking for RC for next year!

Nice job Rick & Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    AND the first time a singlehanded sailor fell off his boat...!
    Say what?! Did he swim back onboard? That current was absolutely ripping out there! Beccie and I spent 3 hours after multiple times throwing out the anchor and watching our progress in inches to only see it evaporate in 10 minutes of trying to tack up the channel. It was fun actually (and frustrating) in the attempt. Thanks again, Rick, and to all your helpers on race deck during Vallejo 1-2 as well as all the races over the past two years. I always saw you with a smile on your face. You rock!

thanks SSS and race committee. not a lot of wind. but certainly a lot of fun

some pictures at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v83vAE1nibeJkEq33

Larry Baskin

Bullet Express 37

Default Bullet attempted start Vallejo 2 2017

Bullet attempted start Vallejo 2 2017

https://vimeo.com/239586904

Larry

As promised, a few fuzzy phone shots:

Name:  DMsParasol.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  353.0 KBName:  Six Brothers.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  820.4 KBName:  Sleeper.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  1.29 MBName:  Rags V2 Spinny.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  1.66 MB

And here it is: What's left of the lemon bread. Jackie actually made it for Dave but (in my best Tommy Chong voice) "Dave's not here!"

Name:  Lemon Bread.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  692.5 KB

Huge Thanks to RC for such a fun weekend of light air sailing! It was great to get the boat out and catch up with some terrific folks! BobJ: Thanks for the pic....I'm pretty sure this was right before I started thinking about getting my 3.5hp engine back out and make it home for the baseball game. We managed to motor sail it home using just under 2 gallons of fuel....not to bad for a Vallejo to Sausalito transit....Looking forward to some more SSS time next season! Regarding the race on Saturday....For those that carried your Spinnaker down to the finish....Any tricks/tips on carrying those angles??....I noticed E27 Archimedes carried it???

~Adam Correa
    Olson 30 "Sleeper"