Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle of Winter SSS cruise-out

Default Middle of Winter SSS cruise-out

I propose an SSS cruise-to-somewhere for the middle of winter. Like, I dunno.... maybe Sat Jan 7th. That doesn't conflict with the Berkeley Midwinters, the South Beach Midwinters.. and I don't see the GGYC Midwinters on their website yet.

I've got a mess of stuff to get sorted on the boat...a rudder to make, autopilot to finish setting up, backstay system to put together so Midwinters are probably out for me. However, the cruise-in to the Sequoia YC was fun. Try again?

This would be "weather permitting" of course. I could maybe talk to the Coyote Point YC folks... or maybe we could go somewhere that we don't go very often...Tiburon YC / Paradise Cay?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I propose an SSS cruise-to-somewhere for the middle of winter.
    Sure, Alan. You organize it and they will come. Dura Mater will come, anyway, and that's two boats. Almost a flotilla.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-26-2017 at 03:08 PM.

sounds fun...
    I do happen to know that the GGYC mids are on the first Saturday of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.
    Technically the first Sat in January is the 1st, but I'd imagine 1/7 will be when they run race #3.

BUT, as Jackie says, if you organize it they will come.
    SFAIK, the Seaweed soup series doesn't have a shorthanded division anyhow.

DH

OK, that's three of us. I declare an SSS quorum. Cruise-In..or out. Or something on Saturday January 7th. It's going on my calendar. Considering that it gets dark earlyish we can't go as far afield as Sequoia or Vallejo, so I will inquire "around" closer to the main Bay. Do I have the authority to claim that I represent the interests of the SSS in this?

As in....

"Hi There Windy Cove Yacht Club, would you lovely people like to host a cruise-in the the Singlehanded Sailing Society on Saturday January 7th? We expect between 3 - 60 boats to attend."

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Do I have the authority to claim that I represent the interests of the SSS in this?
    Maybe call it a pop-up race, like Nathalie's ZYC Race?

I'm in.

I have never, ever in all my years of sailing around the South Bay, gone into the Brisbane Marina. I've sailed in and out of Oyster Point a bunch of times, but never Brisbane. So I just pinged the the Sierra Point Yacht Club cruising chairwoman and asked her if the club would be interested in hosting us. It's not a high-glamour destination, but then...this is US.

Sailing into any of those marina's; Oyster Point, Brisbane, Oyster Cove on a summer afternoon is an ordeal. The wind whips around San Bruno mountain and it HONKS through the marinas. Brian on Red Sky berths at Oyster Point, and he'll confirm this. This is why I've never had a berth there. However, the Wind Engine eases up in the winter and hopefully it should be more manageable. The channel is pretty short, just a couple hundred yards, though it can get tight coming into the marina. However, DO NOT MISS THE CHANNEL as it gets shallow *fast* if you get outside the channel markers.

Depending on wind conditions, motoring in the last 100 yards and entering the marina under power might be advisable. Alternatively, if the breeze is manageable, put in a reef, roll up your headsail and give it a shot. The guest dock is quite close to the entrance, behind the breakwater.

Let's see what Kathy says.

Might charge for slips.

Presidio YC?

It's in January, people - Marina Nuevo Vallarta!