Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Middle of Winter SSS cruise-out

Ahoy! Here is a brief recap of the fun:

SSS Winter Cruise Out - 1/20/18

Alan and his boat the Wildcat of Loch Awe were the mastermind behind the cruise out and the lead boat for the "race" for the Singlehanded Sailing Society's winter cruise out. Thank you Alan for organizing such a fun event! The idea was to gather at the north east corner of Treasure Island and then sail down to Brisbane marina for a friendly "race" down the bay and overnighter. There were 3 boats that were there at the start, Rob on LaDonna Jean a custom Cascade 36, Westsail 32 Tortuga and Wildcat of Loch Awe an S2 7.9, which was the "rabbit" boat and commenced the start.
    We drifted around about 30 min waiting to see if anyone else was going to participate but it was only the 3 boats and at 1100 decided to go. Because of the really light air, the call was made to not round Alcatraz or Blossom Rock and just continue with the flood drifting down the east side of Treasure Island. When the wind completely died at the Bay Bridge, we all motored just past the Alameda shipping channel to catch the wind line there and recommence the "start". It was a light breeze with mostly 5-7 knots all the way down until right after the crane at Hunters Point. Then it got giddy up with a nice 15 knots of breeze to the "finish" at the entrance channel marker for Brisbane Marina.
    The other folks with boats that showed up were Jackie on Dura Matter a Cal-27, John on Owl, a Pacific Seacraft 37 and Brian on the Olson 34 Red Sky. Brian sailed out to about Hunters point and met the "racers" and sailed back to the marina with us. Some of the other SSS racers that showed up at the docks were Bob from Ragtime, Rob from Tiger Beetle, Kristen (not sure of her boat name) and Dave from Domino. (sorry if I inadvertently left anyone out!)
    The Sierra Point Yacht Club was hosting a chili cook off and welcomed us to their club for the evening. Jackie from Dura Matter entered her chili and was one of the winning chefs! A great way to spend the weekend and another reason to be thankful for year round west coast sailing!

Here are some pixs. For those that took any more pix, feel free to add them to this album too!
    https://cluster.co/i/72YKFXSZ

First of all, I'd like to thank my fellow singlehanders for participating in the time-honored method of colluding to assure my win in the chili competition. Our hosts at Sierra Point Yacht Club mistakenly gave us our own table, where I had the opportunity to bribe my way to a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Alan Hebert required the most expensive bribe, a $5 bottle of Guiness. I don't argue with a man who throws cabers.

My favorite part of the trip down the South Bay? Sitting around in Rob Tryon's beautiful boat, talking .... boats! That Rob, he's a mesmerizing talker. And what was fun during dinner? Listening to the two Robs mercilessly tease Bob Johnston about his color fetish. Is he looking at other boats? Don't tell Ragtime!

Thank you to you, Randy, for the muffin Sunday morning. Were those sour cherries? Very delicious!

When we congregate for the Transpacific Yacht Race cruise-out at Richmond Yacht Club on March 17 the clubhouse will not be serving food. If the SSS would like me to make chili for everyone I will do that. Maybe Randy will make the cornbread? I'm looking forward to sitting around talking boats again.

PICTURES......... Randy I have about umpty-ump more of Tortuga. ---and thanks for the breakfast bread.

Once we got to Sierra Point and I was walking back and forth between the boats, I could have sworn I smelled baking cookies on Randy's boat. I DID! Join the Tortuga Team, they have cookies!

Name:  IMG_2262.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  IMG_2266.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  1.18 MB

It was slow goin' at the beginning.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

We slowly ghosted down towards Hunters point.

Name:  IMG_2267.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  1.06 MB

Name:  IMG_2272.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  1.08 MB

As we started getting closer to Hunters Point, some FAST boat with one guy on board sailed up to meet us. He turned around and set a spinnaker.

Name:  IMG_2293.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  596.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2290.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  1.16 MB

For a little while I was in front. YES...

But not for long.

Name:  IMG_2292.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  691.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2297.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  570.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2301.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  574.7 KB

There was no haingin' with Brian on Red Sky, he ooched ahead...

Name:  IMG_2303.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  639.1 KB

Though Westsail 32's can do remarkably well in light air... How'd that heavy boat DO that?

Name:  IMG_0209.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  98.0 KB

We arrived in Brisbane to find Dura Mater tied up first. Owl motored in about an hour later. Here's SSS row on the guest dock, under evening skies and fluorescent dock light..

Name:  IMG_0212.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  128.4 KB

Schmoozing in La Donna Jeans WARM cabin. Did I say "warm"? It was a bit chilly this weekend! Thanks for the loan of the electric heater, Jackie!

Name:  IMG_0213.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  139.8 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Confucius say, warm baked goods make fast boat!

Thanks for the pixs Alan! If you could send anymore to me at captleasure at yahoo dot com.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by captleasure View Post
    Thanks for the pixs Alan! If you could send anymore to me at captleasure at yahoo dot com.

Thank you!
    All these, except the cell phone pictures were uploaded at 25% size and 100 pxpi resolution. The originals are 180 pxpi and about 5 mbytes, each. I have about 20 photos of Tortuga, I'll send you a mess of 'em at about 1 mbtye per pic and you tell me what your favorites are..