Thread: Vallejo & Season Awards

Default Vallejo & Season Awards

Now that the dust has settled on the Vallejo 1-2, I have asked Ray at Jibeset to run the final Season Points. We will have the Vallejo 1-2 awards and year end meeting on Wednesday November 8th at 19:30 and we will be moving this meeting to the Oakland Yacht Club because of the expected turnout. Mark your calendars 11/8 19:30 OYC....

Hey, Rick. I'm not able to attend the race awards this evening and was just wondering if the final season standings have been posted? I guess I could do the math, but that's so not me...

Yes, posted in the Vallejo Race. tried to keep a little suspense but word has leaked out...You did well this year...Congratulations...

Ah yes, got it. Thank you for being RC It was fun trying to do all the races this year. The ones with light wind were just tortuous though. I guess a spinnaker will need to be (finally) part of the sail plan for next year...

Reflections on a Winning Year… now that the dust has settled!

It’s been a long year when I think about how many races ago was 3 Bridge. At that time I had told George Lythcott that I was gonna schedule myself for every race and go for the Season Championship.

A tall goal considering the almost unbeatable Greg Nelsen on the Azurra 310 and those pesky Wyliecat 30’s like Bandicoot (there is a special place in my dark heart for the Wylies).

Little did I know that each of us separately told George that we were shooting for the championship. That must have been an amusing position for George to keep all of us in confidence.

Well, how does one kit up when I can’t recall ever completing even half the season. First thing is first, you gotta do All the races and in a Long Pac year, that is doable. Next, gotta keep the boat and myself in good shape. I don’t sail often beyond the races, so racing will have to be the practice in themselves. My approach as always - be yourself: obsessive, persistent, endure and don't forget to have fun. So, just do what I have always been doing, but just longer through the season. All easier said than done!

Looking back, the race moments that flash in my brain are:

3 Bridge - it was the most fun race. I remember Carliane letting me get past her big wind shadow.

Long Pac - the hardest race but I had the company of John Simpson who stayed in twice daily VHF contact. I and others felt what Mark Twain said, “Things that I did not like at all yesterday I like very well today, now that I am home…”

The most difficult post race was Drakes Bay with its tricky anchorage on a dark, super windy night, spray on spectacles & unlit boats. I learned that the Express 27 with main sail alone needs a fast beam running start to tack in 25-30 knot gusts. Unforgettable was the “hail mary” 3 knot anchor toss amidship while quasi heaving-to under main sail. The most active meteor shower was spectacular.

Half Moon Bay - the most welcoming and nicest post race. Dave Morris (and dogs), Carliane, and Chad helping land boats on the floating dock. The Yacht Club's hospitality and warm atmosphere. I still can't believe Dave Morris had the time and energy to fix my friend Phil’s dunked motor.

The most exciting race was Vallejo I. Half the fleet DNS'd because the wind was too light to reach past the start line. Spinnaker close reaching up Mare Island Strait and just eke-ing past two Wyliecat 30’s, Uno and Bandicoot and keeping two other Express 27’s at bay, Verve and Take 5.

It takes a lot of people to bring these collection of races together. I am very thankful to the SSS, the Race Committee and Competitors. ALL the Competitors from the ones in front that I am in awe of because of their strategic thinking and the ones in back who keep pushing me with their closing speeds.

Looking at the Perpetual Trophy, I note all the boats and names familiar and unfamiliar going back to Gary Kneeland on the Ranger 23, Bruce Schwab on the 30 Square Meter, and Others we all know. Can’t believe I am part of this group!

It feels good to be recognized by your sailing mates and fellow competitors, the feeling is like basking in the sun at the end of a long, cold hard swim. Thank you for the wonderful experience and season!

For my Daughter who I think of much when I am racing overnight. The race does not always go to the most swift, the strongest or the smartest, but rather the most persistent & stubborn. How badly do you want it!

Joe B. Archimedes
    Last edited by Submarino; 11-10-2017 at 05:15 PM.

What a gracious post, Joe. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge everybody.