Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: i am making a rudder

I'm also, sort of simultaneously, working on an emergency rudder. Here are a couple of pictures of my killer woodworking shop. Yes, you can totally be jealous of my driveway. This is the emergency rudder under construction, not my primary rudder. You should see the workshops that most of the guys on the wooden boat forum have. I feel like a real piker when I show my photos over there.

Name:  E-rudder001.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  E-rudder002.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  159.5 KB

Finally, here's an offcut from the emergency rudder. I tried to torque it apart. The rudder is weathered redwood that's glue'd up with PL100 polyurethane adhesive... NOT epoxy, $6.99/tube Loctite PL100. You'll note that the wood broke before the joint gave up. Admittedly, the wood broke at a weak point near a knot, but still.

Name:  E-rudder003.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  102.1 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Your workshop looks very similar to mine, even down to the blue and green work benches!
    Good to know about the PL100, that will be very useful when I start my e rudder. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailronin View Post
    Your workshop looks very similar to mine, even down to the blue and green work benches!
    Good to know about the PL100, that will be very useful when I start my e rudder. Thanks
    So PL100 is actually no longer sold. Its been replaced by PLPremium. I'm just so used to writing and saying "PL100" that I still do it.

Name:  adhesive-loctite-pl-premium.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  21.0 KB

It's the same stuff. Don't get the Loctite PL stuff for mirrors, for example, or for drywall. PL200 is the drywall stuff if I remember correctly. PL Premium is somewhat flexible, totally waterproof and seriously strong stuff. If you want to glue piece of wood A to piece of wood B, watertight, it's a much cheaper alternative than epoxy.

What's it's NOT, is something to goop all over a surface, and then embed fiberglass cloth, or even something like yellowjacket, in.

Is the "yellowjacket" reference sort of akin to embedding an insect in pitch and after several centuries making an amber necklace?

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Is the "yellowjacket" reference sort of akin to embedding an insect in pitch and after several centuries making an amber necklace?
    Ha!....nope. Yellowjacket is a "boat thing", but only if you have a wooden boat. I spent a lot of time many years ago, as the A.) head instructor B.) Chief Scientist and C.) assistant wooden ship fixer for the Marine Science Institute. Our ship was a WWII vintage air-sea rescue boat, 85 feet long. We had to replace the decks, there was bad rot aft of the wheelhouse. That meant tearing up acres of plywood, pulling hundreds of copper nails, and slathering everything with cuprinol. Then the plywood, also slathered with cuprinol, went down, two layers of it. On top of that...the surface we all walked on, we put on Yellowjacket and Arabol.

Yellowjacket is a yellow-colored polyester mesh. It's kind of like a very loose weave fiberglass roving, only it's not glass. Arabol is made by Borden, and it's basically white glue. So we stapled down two layers of yellowjacket with copper staples and then smeared about 10 gallons of arabol over everything...really thick. Wait 48 hours, pray it doesn't rain, and paint with a latex paint that has crushed walnuts in it for non-skid..

It sounds hokey but it held up for almost 15 years until they finally sold the ship. Wooden boats that don't have teak decks often use this for their deck covering, especially work boats.

Anyway, on the rudder front....

This is the boring part. Smear on epoxy and wood dough---wait overnight --- sand. Repeat. Repeat again. Use the belt sander to shape in some of the oddball tapers here and there. Turn over, and repeat. I'm one smear-wait-sand away from being done with one side. However, I've belt-sanded the second side, and then gone over it with the surform plane and then belt sanded again, so the basic shape is there. I'm shocked. The trailing edge is ramrod straight and pretty much exactly 1/4 inch thick for the entire length of the blade.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-29-2017 at 06:11 PM.

I just discovered that Arabol isn't made any more. It had some anti-fungal stuff added to it, that might explain it. Apparently the commericial fishermen use lagging compound...more or less the same stuff. ....sort of.

There are several rudders at Blue Pelican.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-29-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    There are several rudders at Blue Pelican.
    I wish I'd known that before I started this project. The one with bottom paint looks like an old-style Catalina 25 rudder, which would probably work just fine. Ah, well.

I know your well into your project but this outfit north of Seattle could be a good resource for used parts.

The Sailboat Wrecking Yard

http://sailboatwreckingyard.com
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OlyJeff View Post
    I know your well into your project but this outfit north of Seattle could be a good resource for used parts.

The Sailboat Wrecking Yard

http://sailboatwreckingyard.com
    I contacted them twice and actually they came off as rather unpleasant via e-mail and even though I asked twice, they never sent along a list of the rudders they had in stock.

That's a pity, as they seem to have a lot of great stuff on-hand.