Thread: Two women alone at sea for 5 months? Uhhh, right.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default Two women alone at sea for 5 months? Uhhh, right.

This story was widely reported a couple of weeks ago

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8024831.html

Women rescued by US navy after five months adrift at sea admit they weren’t prepared

The two women who were rescued by the US navy after spending five months adrift at sea have admitted they weren’t prepared, with one of them having never sailed.

Jennifer Appel said she and sailing partner, Tasha Fuiava, didn’t know what they were getting themselves into when they set off to sail the 2,700 miles from Hawaii to Tahiti in May.

Ms Appel said: "I had no idea what I was getting myself into. When I asked Natasha, I told her I have no idea what's going to happen out there and she said, 'That's OK, I've never sailed."'

There is also a story and video at CNN (that trustworthy source) http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2017...atson-intv.cnn

I thought this story was pretty off myself, because they had 2 dogs with them, and they did not really discuss what they did for water, etc etc. Many of us in the SSS know what it would be to be that long at sea, what food/water/other things are needed etc.

Anyway, a cranky sailor has broken the whole thing down for us, it is pretty entertaining reading:

19 REASONS THIS “SURVIVAL” STORY SMELLS FISHY
    https://unreasonablydangerousonionri...-smells-fishy/

Have fun.

Well the author of the critical piece does make this statement, which we know is not true

One person cannot operate a 50-foot boat for three hours without help, let alone three weeks. Two people are already stretched thin, given that someone has to be awake 24/7 to keep watch, and that’s if they both know what they’re doing. I wouldn’t dare do this trip with two people.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Anyway, a cranky sailor has broken the whole thing down for us, it is pretty entertaining reading:
    OMG that was funny! I just kept reading and laughing. Thanks, David.

Curious, too, why my family and friends all sent me these articles. Like, really? Kinda reminds me of that cruising sailors meme....

Name:  Cruising sailors.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  60.1 KB

Ha, love the graphic, especially that bottom right image, painfully true.

This update has way, way TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Somewhat NSFW.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ominatrix.html

I thought Dominatrix was a local Santana 22. Apparently I don't get out much.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Well the author of the critical piece does make this statement, which we know is not true
    Yea, that was really a funny article. I was also taken aback by the author's failure to appreciate the almost superhuman abilities of the Aficionados of Aloneness.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 11-17-2017 at 05:14 PM.