Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macif rtw 2017

Default Macif rtw 2017

Francois Gabart is doing something remarkable out in the Atlantic.
    2 days, 8 hours in to his solo RTW record attempt, he is 245nm ahead of the reference pace set by Thomas Coville last year.

The numbers are mind boggling.
    First of all, he is single handing a 31m (102') trimaran and doing it with the hammer down.
    AVERAGE speed since the start: 29.5 knots.
    24 hour runs are eclipsing 680 miles.

WOW. Full Stop.

Tracker here - yeah, it's in French; deal with it.
    Last edited by DaveH; 11-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    [/URL] - yeah, it's in French; deal with it.

Day 2 / Word from the edge: Encounter off the Canary Islands
    While François Gabart was on his second night at sea, he had the opportunity to get in touch with a cargo ship crossed on his way. Extract from a funny VHF exchange ...
    © François Gabart / Macif

"I did not have an exchange with this cargo ship. By cons, that night, it was funny, I was just behind another cargo ship that went to Gibraltar. We talked a bit about VHF to avoid each other. He asked me several times if I was a sailing boat. I was going to 40 knots. Where are you going, he tells me? I'm going around the world and I come back as fast as possible! ... little white man and he says "Ah Great! ". I imagined rubbing his eyes at 3am! "

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Francois Gabart is doing something remarkable out in the Atlantic.
    2 days, 8 hours in to his solo RTW record attempt, he is 245nm ahead of the reference pace set by Thomas Coville last year.
    The numbers are mind boggling.First of all, he is single handing a 31m (102') trimaran and doing it with the hammer down.
    AVERAGE speed since the start: 29.5 knots. 24 hour runs are eclipsing 680 miles.
    WOW. Full Stop.
    Tracker here - yeah, it's in French; deal with it.
    Watching MACIF under sail is beyond anything we have seen to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwKpeen9U4A

Just a few of MACIF's specs for consideration: 69 foot beam, with wave piercing bows. Foil assisted on hulls and rudders, with hull foils being retractable. The 114 foot wing mast not only rotates, but can be canted to windward by giant hydraulic rams. This helps reduce downward force on the leeward ama.

Here is the thing: the apparent wind in even Force 4-5 (11-21 knots TWS) likely exceeds 40 knots....I have no evidence, but would bet MACIF, with enough wind, could still haul the mail with no sails. Just the wing mast.

The stuff of dreams is here. Allez Francois!
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.

"AVERAGE speed since the start: 29.5 knots. "

That would be the Gate to Hanalei in about three days. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    "AVERAGE speed since the start: 29.5 knots. "

That would be the Gate to Hanalei in about three days. Sheesh.
    Or a LongPac in around 16 hours (assuming the usual extra 20 miles or so tacked on to the calculated 400 nm). Or a Farallones in just a couple of hours. Somebody needs to calculate a 3bridge start time for that beast.

OK, you'd never have the conditions to do it, but based on MACIF's last 24hrs, you'd be in Kauai inside of a 3 day weekend.

818nm in 24hrs.
    New solo record.
    holy cats!

Today: François Gabart beats the record of distance traveled in 24h alone! A mythical bar has just fallen: by traveling 826 * miles from Monday to Tuesday afternoon, a figure that could still evolve in the evening, François Gabart, who pressed the throttle trimaran MACIF to avoid being caught by Too strong winds in his back, is the first solo sailor to pass the 800 miles in 24 hours. He smashed his own record, which was July 3, 2016, 784 miles. His average? 34.4 knots, or 63 km / h! What does the person think? " I am delighted. Records are made to be beaten, that's how we progress. The sensations at these speeds are quite extraordinary, the boat is flying, it's a mix of power and lightness." Not one to rest on his laurels, the skipper of the MACIF trimaran immediately adds: "Now, this is not the priority objective, the idea is to finish this world tour ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Today: François Gabart beats the record of distance traveled in 24h alone! A mythical bar has just fallen: by traveling 826 * miles from Monday to Tuesday afternoon, a figure that could still evolve in the evening, François Gabart, who pressed the throttle trimaran MACIF to avoid being caught by Too strong winds in his back, is the first solo sailor to pass the 800 miles in 24 hours. He smashed his own record, which was July 3, 2016, 784 miles. His average? 34.4 knots, or 63 km / h! What does the person think? " I am delighted. Records are made to be beaten, that's how we progress. The sensations at these speeds are quite extraordinary, the boat is flying, it's a mix of power and lightness." Not one to rest on his laurels, the skipper of the MACIF trimaran immediately adds: "Now, this is not the priority objective, the idea is to finish this world tour ..."
    How in hell do you get any sleep moving at 35 Kts??!! It may be pretty quiet but, man, if you hit something...
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 11-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    How in hell do you get any sleep moving at 35 Kts??!! It may be pretty quiet but, man, if you hit something...
    Gabert noted he is getting used to sleeping flying the main hull. At 35 knots, the leeward ama is barely touching the water. Airborne sleeping....Jean Yves Bernot's routing team must be smoking their computers. First they had Gabert slow down to avoid outrunning the Mozambique low...then they turned MACIF due south for hundreds of miles to jump to a new weather system. MACIF is now down around 55 degrees south, well inside southern Indian Ocean ice limits. One wonders whether Bernot and team have satellite technology that can spot ice ahead of MACIF. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    MACIF is now down around 55 degrees south, well inside southern Indian Ocean ice limits. One wonders whether Bernot and team have satellite technology that can spot ice ahead of MACIF. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.
    OMG! OMG! And I worry about logs in the bay! By the way, that phone number for the Army Corps of Engineers for recovery of debris in the bay? Banker's hours, during the week only.
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.