Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macif rtw 2017

Peering closely at a variety of photos of MACIF I see no stanchions or life lines. Maybe the Moore's have it right after all.

Brian
    Redsky

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Peering closely at a variety of photos of MACIF I see no stanchions or life lines.
    Um, no.
    levity aside, there's a bow pulpit and double life lines on the main hull forward of the crossbeam.
    Also across the transom.
    And then there's the completely enclosed "cockpit", perhaps more accurately called a pilot house.
    OK, there's no lifelines on the main hull between the crossbeams, where there is approximately 30' of adjacent trampoline.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    OK, there's no lifelines on the main hull between the crossbeams, where there is approximately 30' of adjacent trampoline.
    "Peering closely at a variety of photos of MACIF I see no stanchions or life lines." - Boschma

I can just imagine the chatter sitting next to you two during that Robert Redford sailing movie Lost. Deafening.

BTW, a new British film coming out in February called THE MERCY about Crowhurst and the first singlehanded Round the World race.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3319730/
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-21-2017 at 01:34 AM.

[QUOTE=Philpott;19037]"Peering closely at a variety of photos of MACIF I see no stanchions or life lines." - Boschma

I can just imagine the chatter sitting next to you two during that Robert Redford sailing movie Lost. Deafening.

BTW, a new British film coming out in February called THE MERCY about Crowhurst and the first singlehanded Round the World race.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIRycQsUhM

"oh, la vache," says FG in a short video. As he goes to jibe MACIF back to port after crossing 60 degrees South, FG spots a nearby berg where no berg should be ..... good thing it was daylight. http://www.macifcourseaularge.com/ac...iceberg-a-vue/

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    "oh, la vache," says FG in a short video. As he goes to jibe MACIF back to port after crossing 60 degrees South, FG spots a nearby berg where no berg should be ..... good thing it was daylight. http://www.macifcourseaularge.com/ac...iceberg-a-vue/
    While he had just maneuvered this morning to oblique his route to the north so as not to enter a zone of cold water, François Gabart saw an iceberg. The jibe had previously been planned on the edge of this zone; the visibility being good and the conditions manageable. The sight of this iceberg at this place, confirmed, without doubt the choice of the maneuver!

In looking back through some of the posts on PD, I read that during his passage of the Kerguelen island he used a "routing cell" comprised of five individuals.
    The final decision is ultimately up to F.G.
    That would make this voyage "assisted".

Not to take anything away from the accomplishments, I just thought it would be unassisted.

An interesting safety problem the last few days for FG (Francois Gabert): Deep in the Southern Ocean, enroute to Cape Horn, the ocean waves, traveling at ~ 25 knots, are apparently big enough and steep enough to cause FG concern. MACIF cannot run DDW (dead downwind) and must sail deep at ~ TWA (true wind angle) of 140 degrees. FG has purposely reduced sail (3 reefs in main, smallest jib) to slow MACIF ~10 knots to less than 25 knots BS (boat speed.) This reduction in speed, coupled with the zigzagging course, has much reduced VMG (velocity made good) towards Cape Horn, currently at 16 knots. It would interesting to ask FG if there is concern of pitchpoling his hundred footer by going too fast, catching the wave ahead, and digging in the bows...

Stan Honey brings FG's dilemma into perspective by pointing out the biggest factor on these giant trimarans in choosing course is not seeking more wind, but rather finding smaller sea state..Stan should know, he navigated the 100 foot tri GROUPAMA 3 around-the-World in 48 days. Here's Stan's take, a 5 minute discussion of fascinating interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAno7dbbDF8