Looking for recommendations for a good autopilot system for my boat.
I have a Bodega 30 (aka Farallon 29, Golden Gate 30) - long keel around 8000lbs (tiller steering). I have been prepping my boat for the last year in hope of completing the 2018 SHTP. Boat originally came with an ST2000+, which was a bit underpowered for my boat in any kind of chop. So based on the recommendations here, I ordered a Pelagic autopilot complete system in April. The Pelagic has, unfortunately, been nothing but a problem - faulty boards (replaced) and now the actuator appears to have stopped working. This was during a calm daysail in 10-12kts winds on a beam reach. Despite the glowing reviews, and Brians excellent customer service sending me replacement parts, I don't have much confidence in taking this system offshore - In fact, I have since installing it in May only had it work twice during daysails. Looking for opinions on the EV-100, or anything comparable. How about the Simrad TP32? Others? Not interested in installing a belowdeck system at this time, due to boat configuration and cost. Had good luck for years with the ST2000+ on my 24' boat - just too small for this one. Thanks!