Thread: Tiller Pilot problems and recommendations

Default Tiller Pilot problems and recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a good autopilot system for my boat.
    I have a Bodega 30 (aka Farallon 29, Golden Gate 30) - long keel around 8000lbs (tiller steering). I have been prepping my boat for the last year in hope of completing the 2018 SHTP. Boat originally came with an ST2000+, which was a bit underpowered for my boat in any kind of chop. So based on the recommendations here, I ordered a Pelagic autopilot complete system in April. The Pelagic has, unfortunately, been nothing but a problem - faulty boards (replaced) and now the actuator appears to have stopped working. This was during a calm daysail in 10-12kts winds on a beam reach. Despite the glowing reviews, and Brians excellent customer service sending me replacement parts, I don't have much confidence in taking this system offshore - In fact, I have since installing it in May only had it work twice during daysails. Looking for opinions on the EV-100, or anything comparable. How about the Simrad TP32? Others? Not interested in installing a belowdeck system at this time, due to boat configuration and cost. Had good luck for years with the ST2000+ on my 24' boat - just too small for this one. Thanks!

EV100 is great and you can still use your Pelagic drive so you will already have two. FYI, A single electric autopilot is not enough for a SHTP. I had 4 but two were smaller tiller units and two had interchangeable drives. I'd get the EVO and keep working to gain confidence in the Pelagic so you have two brains also.

Thanks for the reply. Met with Brian and am going to give the Pelagic one more try - I know so many others have had good luck with it.
    The Pelagic is actually my backup - I use a wind vane for most of my self steering.

Redundancy is good. Three ways to do most everything vital on the boat is excellent iMHO..
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"