Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on requirements.

Default Questions on requirements.

Still outfitting my boat but have a few questions regarding the specifics of the requirements.

1. Fuel shutoff valves. Are these required to be mounted on the tank, or is inline along the fuel line acceptable?
    2. Water containers. I have two tanks mounted, each isolated from the other with valves - is this acceptable or are we required to have "bottled" type containers.

Thanks!

Since neither George (Chief Inspector) nor Brian (SHTP Race Chair) tend to post here, I'd send questions to them directly:

George: glythco@yahoo
    Brian: brianb@brianboschma

(Both have a .com on the end)

1. The rule says "Shut off valves shall be fitted on all fuel tanks." This makes sense since you want the valve as close as possible to the source of fuel.

2. That water storage plan sounds okay and is probably the norm for larger boats.

I seem to have gotten myself wrapped around the axle trying to reconcile SER 3.33.3 and 3.33.4.

The former requires a storm jib “not greater than 13.5% of the height of the fore-triangle squared”, while the latter calls for one “not exceeding 5% of the yacht’s I dimension squared.” I thought “the yacht’s I dimension” is defined as the “height of the fore-triangle”. So two storm jibs are required?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    I seem to have gotten myself wrapped around the axle trying to reconcile SER 3.33.3 and 3.33.4.

The former requires a storm jib “not greater than 13.5% of the height of the fore-triangle squared”, while the latter calls for one “not exceeding 5% of the yacht’s I dimension squared.” I thought “the yacht’s I dimension” is defined as the “height of the fore-triangle”. So two storm jibs are required?
    As I understand it, the 13.5% is a "heavy weather" jib, and the 5% is a "storm" jib.
    Both are required.
    I'm not an inspector, this is what I learned from my Long-Pac prep.

This could be an error. Past SHTP rules said "or" which makes sense for a downwind race (not requiring both). My understanding is the guys moved the text from the 2016 SHTP rules into a spreadsheet format and renumbered them. They might have missed the differences on this one.

Can we get a clarification?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

Can we get a clarification?
    That would be great.

On another issue, I have two fresh water tanks, lying either side of the centerline of the boat, under the V-berth. 31 gallons each, separate valves to keep isolated from each other. So we've got SER 2.3.4 covered.

However, SER 2.2.4 says this constitutes moveable ballast and must be full or empty in performing incline tests under Appendix B. Part (a)(ii) of Appendix B says: "Competitors shall be able to demonstrate an efficient and safe manual method of discharging, transferring, or taking on liquid ballast with the vessel at up to 50 degrees angle of heel port or starboard of the normal laden trim." I can't do any of those. I could discharge a tank by pumping it dry with the foot pump, but that would be far from "efficient". Using the electric fresh water pump would be more efficient, but would not be "manual". And the other two tasks (transferring or taking on) are impossible.

Do I need to leave both tanks empty and carry water in jugs?
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 11-28-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

No (IMO). Valiant 32's are not water-ballasted boats so Appendix B would not apply. Non water-ballasted boats would just need to comply with 2.2.5 (floating on their lines).

Again to clarify, I'm just some guy. You need to contact Brian or George to get definitive answers to these questions.

Thanks, Bob. Maybe the answer is that tanks immediately on either side of the centerline are not considered mounted to port and starboard. But I will email Brian and George on this and the storm jib issue.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Thanks, Bob. Maybe the answer is that tanks immediately on either side of the centerline are not considered mounted to port and starboard. But I will email Brian and George on this and the storm jib issue.
    Please post it here too if you would - I need the same question answered.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
    Please post it here too if you would -
    This just in from George Lythcott:

Water Tanks:

A minimum of 21 gallons of water must be carried in at least 2 separate tanks/containers. Depending on how close the tanks are to the center line and being that they are located forward under the v-berth where the boat is narrow, I don't think storing water in either/both tanks would be a problem and I would pass it (after inspection). I also note that depending on the boat's overall configuration/balance, carrying water forward of the mast may not be the best location for that weight.

Heavy Weather Jib/Storm Sail:

I don't have a definitive comment on this issue. As written, paragraphs 3.33.3 and 3.33.4 appear to require two jibs; one being a Heavy Weather Jib and the other a Storm Jib. I defer to others on this requirement.

So, that's what we know so far. I'll post any additional answers I receive.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32