Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Race to the Eclipse, 2019

Funny that you all are discussing Pitcairn (and other sailing venues) and this documentary just pops up in another forum. Freaking incredible, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7MWxADnko

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    How bout a race from Richmond to the Stockton Sailing Club and back all in one chunk. Singlehanded, no landfalls (running aground excepted), no engine but anchoring and sleeping (at the same time thank you) allowed. You can row or scull if you wish. Allot 72 hours to finish.
    How about two races, with a dinner in between? Call it the Stockton 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Freaking incredible, really.
    I have to agree. Freaking incredible. The documentary was released in 2012. Those are big waves. Does anybody have a chart for that area? How much rode would be needed? Maybe there is a marina by now?
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-29-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Funny that you all are discussing Pitcairn (and other sailing venues) and this documentary just pops up in another forum. Freaking incredible, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7MWxADnko
    Wow, I only watched about 10 minutes of it but...

"Tony" the "expert sailor" who also is obsessed with getting to Pitcairn? That's Tony Bullimore, BOC around-the-world race skipper who had to be rescued twice. Then, when Our Hero gets to Tahiti, he's eating breadfruit on the beach and he meets Don McIntyre, who wants to recreate Blighs voyage to the Dutch East Indies. Yeah, well, that Don McIntyre did the 90-91 BOC race in a 50 of his own design. He produced the movie "BOC Knockdown" which I actually own...and you can watch on YouTube right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpmF7m5onxU
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I never thought I'd say this, but Bob and I do something almost identical: anchoring" "NANCY" even lacks a forward hatch since the mast is stepped about 3 feet abaft the stem, so hauling everything forward is a stern to stem operation. The main difference is that instead of a bag, I keep my rode faked in an old West Marine "Space Case" on the theory that the latticed-work plastic give the rope a chance to dry out between its annual Drakes Bay dunk. I do get it out on the dock after anchoring to rinse things down with fresh water. Keeps the Fortress anchor from rusting.

About Pitcairn Island. I've read/seen just about everything "Pitcairn" over the years. I spent lots of time growing up with a Seventh Day Adventist Grandmother and most Pitcairnites were converts back then. The Springfield, Oregon church sent annual packets of clothes and such to the mission on Pitcairn. They went to Australia if I remember correctly and then on one of the semi-annual supply ships (I don't think ocean liners stopped by back then) to the roadstead where the ships transferred supplies to one of the two Pitcairn long boats. Since the ladies in the Dorcas Society were noted for knitting warm socks and sweaters for soldiers in France and for quilting elaborately designed bed coverings, I've always wondered what folks on Pitcairn thought when the warm-wooly packages arrived?