Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHTP Results Update 1978-Present

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Can't wait to see what kind of fleet we get next time.

DolfinBill
    Great work, nice analysis, Bill. I can only add that by finishing, albeit DFL, Morning Star evened the record for Valiant 32's at 4 starts, 2 finishes. A shout out to Rob Tryon as the other finisher.

As for your curiosity about the "fleet we get next time", perhaps Dolfin has another one in her? Does Patty know?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

"Does Patty know?"

As sailors amnesia creeps in and the beauty of the open ocean calls...

Thanks for the results!

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    I had nothing better to do last night so I dug a little deeper into the spreadsheet of the SHTP results through 2018 that David Nabors recently updated. In the 40 year history of the race 224 sailors have finished in monohulls, 56 of them multiple times. The champion of course is General Ken Roper with 13, then Barry Bristol, Greg Morris, Mark Deppe and Mike Jefferson with 5 finishes each. Two others have done it 4 times and twelve have finished 3 times. For the multihulls, 10 total have finished with Peter Hogg doing it 5 times.

As for type of boats, no surprise that Olson 30's lead with 22 finishes, then Harrier with 13, Moore 24's with 11, Cal 40's and those beautiful Crealock 37's with 10 each, Westsail 32's - 9, Express 27's - 7 and Santa Cruz 27's - 6. Otherwise just about any type of boat you can imagine has also finished one way of the other.

It's hard to compare finishing times because the conditions for every race are so different. Plus I'm only a cruiser and would probably make even more mistakes than I probably already have. Can't wait to see what kind of fleet we get next time.

DolfinBill
    These are really interesting Bill. I am working on another little adventure, people interested in that activity have assembled a large # of stats on various aspects of the activity such as participant age spread, favorite gear, least favorite gear (generic or specific), how much fuel, how much total charging, budget, best food, greatest regret in terms of prep, most useful prep activity, physical condition at start and on and on. Most of this data was accumulated as a result of a detailed survey sent out to participants after they completed the activity. The survey evolves year to year as people request new questions/data be added, old deleted. In our case we could have a separate one for the sail back. Of course privacy is respected and folks can answer what they want to answer.

We should really consider something like this after each SHTP, perhaps Longpac too. The results would be quite interesting and might be of benefit to future participants. This would be really easy in our case where there are a limited number participants and we know how to contact them.

Any interest in collaborating with me on an initial question set? Memories are probably still fresh enough the class of 2018 where we could get good data set from them/us.

I shared a google doc with you (to your e-mail) containing an initial set of survey questions to start the ball rolling.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 12-06-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Cool discussion thread and definitely interesting to see where this goes with further analysis! "We" often say that more people have gone to space than have raced in the SHTP. I wasn't sure if this had been fact checked, but a quick Google search found the following (which also hasn't been fact-checked lest you think I believe everything on the internet....).

As of November 6, 2013, a total of 536 people from 38 countries have gone into space according to the FAI guideline (543 people have qualified when including the US Department of Defense classification). Of the 536, three people completed only a sub-orbital flight, 533 people reached Earth orbit, 24 traveled beyond low Earth orbitand 12 walked on the Moon.

Even if the numbers above are off by 50%, it would still be an accurate analogy. More than TWICE as many people have gone into space as have raced solo to Kauai. I'll hook my belt buckle onto that statement

Oh veeeery interesting. Of the top 16 monohulls of all time, one quarter were from the 2018 race. Anyone want to analyze that result?

And only 12 female skippers?! Are we missing some years in the spreadsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    . . . . I am working on another little adventure, . . .
    Is it a secret?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Is it a secret?
    Yes, for now. Nothing all that big, but I don't want to place a marker just yet cause then I have to actually do it. Not sailing related but, in many ways, very similar.

And only 12 female skippers?! Are we missing some years in the spreadsheet?
    Gee Carliane, that does put you in a very select group. And the way I see it, in two years you could be the only female in the history of the world to have done it twice.

Bill

We should really consider something like this after each SHTP, perhaps Longpac too. The results would be quite interesting and might be of benefit to future participants. This would be really easy in our case where there are a limited number participants and we know how to contact them.

Any interest in collaborating with me on an initial question set? Memories are probably still fresh enough the class of 2018 where we could get good data set from them/us.

I shared a google doc with you (to your e-mail) containing an initial set of survey questions to start the ball rolling.
    Hi Mike, I think your idea is super and I have already made some additions to the initial set of survey questions you sent.

Bill