Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Default Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Good day,
    I'm not sure this is the best place to post this. Admins, feel free to move accordingly.

I started sailing about 2.5 years ago. I'd like to do the 2018 TransPac and the process that leads to it. Therefor I'm in need of boat, although not urgently.

I'd prefer a boat that's been prepared before. I don't want to win, just have a fun, safe adventure, with a group of folks who have been there done that.

A few things ... I'm 6'6" and would prefer enough headroom at least in one area in the boat. All in all, with the resale, I'm hoping for this adventure to cost me less than $20,000 over the next 2+ years. I'm in Redwood City.

Let me know if something shows up please.

I'm now committed. Budget more flexible. Headroom not so relevant anymore. Sadly just missed Temerity and Elise! The three others here are above what I can handle for initial and ongoing costs (Lightspeed, Andrews 28 and Sunfast 3200). Please, let me know if you know of a boat that's ready or almost ready to take me through the races leading up to the 2018 Transpac (yes I understand the first one is coming up end of January).

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Custom Wylie 39 LIGHTSPEED is still on the market, a PacCup and SHTP vet. Cal 40s have bunks that are 7' long I believe.

If you want to do the SHTP 2018, you really, really should plan on doing LongPac 2017. Really.

Farr 30 for only $30k. Might be pretty hard to sail alone. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996...s#.WEdJUlJP2NM

Jenneau Sun Fast 3200, two boats on YW for $95-99k. That Fagaro II above is a way better boat for less money.

Proto Mini Transat for $95k. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007...s#.WEdJa1JP2NM
    They have historically not done that well against O30 types in the SHTP.

There will probably be a few more Figaro II's available, now that the foiling Figaro III is coming out. Nat just bought a Figaro II to replace Elise.

I'm leaning towards a bit larger and cruisier boat but it's only a slight lean - it may be awhile - and my J/92 only has standing headroom for a pygmy. But she's rarin' to race to Hawaii.

Would this work? It's been on craigslist ever since I've started looking at boats ... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5908732946.html

Buy a Hobie 33 with a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Buy a Hobie 33 with a trailer.
    I'm sorry ... I get it ... my question wasn't very considerate of your time ... let's just leave this at: I am really interested in hearing from this community if you know of a boat for sale that's mostly ready for the LongPac coming up in July, with a price around $30,000. Or if you do come across one in the next month please let me know. I'm subscribed to this thread or please PM me otherwise. I'll come back to the for sale forum regularly in case something shows up.
    Apologies ...