Thread: Kidde recalls fire extinguishers - I have them on Tiger Beetle

Default Kidde recalls fire extinguishers - I have them on Tiger Beetle

While exploring the Cal Fire web site for news on the Southern California fire(s), I read a note regarding a recall on Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles. In looking at what's on board Tiger Beetle, three of the four fire extinguishers are in the recall list. In my case these are the small 3 pound dry chemical ABC fire extinguishers purchased from Home Depot.

The 'fix' is to retain the extinguisher, notify Kidde via their website, Kidde will send to you replacement extinguishers.

Here's the hazard, verbatim from CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission):

"The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard."

CPSC information, released November 2, 2017:
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...d#.Wfr3FggcNkQ

From Kidde:
    how to to spot a recalled extinguisher, with links through to pages showing how to find the model number, serial number, manufacturing date (if any), and the page for submitting suspect extinguisher information to Kidde:
    https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

The CPSC site lists the incidenets/injuries associated with use or attempted use of these fire extinguishers:
    "The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage."

Time to inspect those fire extinguishers and get them replaced if they're on the list. I tried to put a .jpg picture of the extinguishers below, unfortunately I do not know how the image upload/attach mechanism works ...

Name:  recall_extingusiher_image.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  137.4 KB

- rob
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 12-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    While exploring the Cal Fire web site for news on the Southern California fire(s), I read a note regarding a recall on Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles.
    Very cool ... I'm in for two as well ...