Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June or July? Tropical Storm Hernan

Default I prefer June:

"I prefer June for race start simply because it gives the skippers increased latitude upon when to depart; if you stay into September the possibility of running into severe storm on the return trip increases. At least that's my argument for starting in late June." - rob/beetle

I think we should continue this discussion Rob. If I read this right your far more concerned about winter gales than a trip to the 'cane patch. We have both posted essentially the same data on Hurricane probabilities. Can someone post gale data?

But . . . June or earlier start dates tend to drastically reduce both risks, without impact on the points that you have identified as priority. Full moons happen once a month.

Actual Hurricane encounter probabilities appear to be crudely estimatable. The fleet extends 1000 nautical miles at times and various boats are in the 'caine patch for 4-5 weeks. Thats a pretty big target, maybe a "not if, but when" situation.
    Last edited by Robert Stodieck; 08-19-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    R Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Robert -

All that said, if you're interested in the race, why not come over to one of the SSS skipper's meetings and meet up with the folks that have done the race? Lots of stories to be swapped at the meetings! If you're nearby Pillar Point Harbor this weekend, stop on by the Half Moon Bay yacht club - the racers will be there having dinner Saturday night.

- rob/beetle
    Rob, It would be far more interesting if Wen Lin was there. Can't think of anyone else's experience that might be of more value.

I have been meeting with folks who have done the race since 2004. That year I volunteered to do a return for any skipper who needed the service. I sat through all the seminars that year to get acquainted. This form of participation fits into my schedules, and interests, much better than the fielding a boat for the race per se. I have owned boats, I prefer a good toothache and a traffic fine . . . served over flu flambe' . . . with fleas . . . I have heard many, many experienced skippers stories, but I prefer sailing, actually.

Most impressed with this years crop of near disposables and Alan's one-way-wonder. Yes!

Rob, You may also recall that I volunteered to host, at my expense, and master an upgraded website for the society in 2007. When it became clear that you had dibs on "Webdude" for the upgrade. I provided you a synopsis of the web hosting companies I had worked with.
    Last edited by Robert Stodieck; 08-19-2008 at 02:17 PM.
    R Sailor

Default You see, this is the problem Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stodieck View Post
    Most impressed with this years crop of near disposables and Alan's one-way-wonder.
    Way to endear yourself to the Society . . .

Phil, I hope you'll re-up your membership. Alan, you can sail with me any time (although I'm temporarily boatless as well!)
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-20-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Toned down for posterity

Thanks Bob,

I will be back! Just taking a rest. I haven't single handed since before my little (big) accident. Over a year now, I miss it. Someday soon.

Cheers

Phil

But . . . June or earlier start dates tend to drastically reduce both risks, without impact on the points that you have identified as priority. Full moons happen once a month.
    Hi Robert -

if you want to be involved in the races then join the club, bring your boat onto the race course, and have some fun. Alternatively, if you're interested in making suggestions from the sidelines then feel free to do so - and recognize that your input to future club race activities has limited value to the race organizers; the SSS is all about those that do, not those that talk.

Thank you for your input, it's been noted.

- rob/beetle

Rob, You may also recall that I volunteered to host, at my expense, and master an upgraded website for the society in 2007. When it became clear that you had dibs on "Webdude" for the upgrade. I provided you a synopsis of the web hosting companies I had worked with.
    Yes, we were talking about how best to host photos from the SSS TransPac. You made a generous offer to host the photos on a site that you have and the SSS could link through to that site.

The resolution was to increase the SSS contract with our web host to increase storage and bandwidth, enabling the club to post photos and maintain the content directly.

- rob

Checking through my email I see that when you and Synthia stepped up, we were only talking about an enlarged photo site. The whole website upgrade was an earlier ambition. Cheers!
    R Sailor

"disposables and one-way-wonder."

Interesting. I missed that. Ah, it's good in some ways to not be the Admin any more, because now I can use the "ignore" function in my control panel.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"