Thread: CYC MidWinters Aoeta Cup Team

Default CYC MidWinters Aoeta Cup Team

I'd like to organize a 3-boat CYC Aotea Team representing the SSS. The CYC doesn't list yacht club membership for its entries, so it's difficult to know who from the SSS is entered. SSS entrants are further difficult because many SSS members also belong to a brick and mortar yacht club and prefer to represent that club. The Aotea Cup, named for Peter Hogg's multi-hull "Aotea" - many of us remember Peter as an early SSS member and Commodore and record setter to Hawaii and Japan.

The Aotea Cup is a in addition to division and overall winners. A "team" consists of 3 boats in different divisions representing a YRA Yacht Club) which the SSS is.

I'm sailing in a PHRF Spinnaker Division (probably in from around PHRF 100 to mid-100-thirty range). There are faster and slower PHRF Divisions. There are usually One-Design Divisions for J/105, Cal 20, Express 27, Express 37 boats. There are several non-spinnaker and a sport boat division, too. We won't know for sure where the cuts will be made until about a week before the first race on Jan. 20, so we can't put a team (0r teams) together before then. But I can begin building a list of SSS boats entering who would be interested.

If you're planning on the CYC MidWins and would like to represent the SSS on an Aotea Team, please send me a message: broderic at sonic dot net. (No "K" on my last name) Or post a reply to this thread. I'll compile a list and if there 3 of us we'll have a team. If there are 6 we'll have 2 teams. Etc.

The Aotea scoring is weighted and depends on where you place and how many boats are in your division. I can't explain it. I'm an English major, not a Nuclear Mathematician. Thanks, Pat

I like this idea but I'm a multihull and there won't be very much turnout in my division (except Adrenaline, which will probably beat me).

It's looking pretty slim even to get 3 boats from the SSS entered. Most SSS members belong to a brick and mortar club and are racing for that club. I'll keep trying. If there are 3 of us, we'll have a tem. I've got dot beat Nash, Quanci, and a bunch of others. I'll let you know. Thanks, Pat

Pat, I looked at this quickly (I'm at work). My boat doesn't appear to fit any of the special divisions so I'd be in the same division as you - that doesn't help with the AOTEA team. I'd also have to find crew at the last minute (this is possible). Maybe I could race non-spinnaker although that could be painful this time of year.

Length 30'-0" D/WL=143 PHRF=105 Let me know ASAP if there's a way, and I'll see what I can do.