Thread: Registration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Registration

Clicked on the Jibeset link on the 2018 SHTP web page today, and learned for the first time that a $100 provisional entry fee is due by January 1, 2018. Great. Nice to know. Was this posted somewhere before today, the next to the last business day of 2017?

Anyway, I go through the process to try and register on Jibeset so I can pay the fee, but NO! Jibeset says registration is not open for this regatta, so I can't even set up an account, let along pay the registration fee.

What gives?

For the record, I am in for the $100 to hold a place. Tell me how to pay, and I will do so happily. Tell me next week that I missed the deadline and now have to pay $150, and I won't be happy. Obviously a $50 difference is less than a rounding error in the overall cost of doing this race, but . . . really?
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 12-29-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

We're wired similarly AZ and this stuff drives me nuts. But it's a skipper-run race and how diligently its admin is prosecuted depends on the skippers who step up to run it.

I think you can safely spend the extra $50 elsewhere. As an aside, I think it's about time to pull the CG permit and the CG will want to see some documents.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Clicked on the Jibeset link on the 2018 SHTP web page today
    I don't see a link? The page appears to be in development with standard texts in many places ... This is where I looked:

http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/

I went to jibeset and the SHTP regatta registration is closed and the event date is wrong ... so is the case for the Three bridge fiasco ...

Confused ...

I went to the Jibeset website and clicked on its link for the 2018 SHTP. And yes, it does indeed give the start date as JULY 23, 2018. The race itself doesn't have a website -- just the Wordpress mock up page you found. When or if it ever will is just one of the many mysteries surrounding this alleged race.

I am trying to heed BobJ's advice to not let this stuff drive me nuts. But with so much money, time, and emotional energy invested already, it is not easy. It would be a kindness if someone could at least tell us what is going on or when we can expect next steps to occur -- other than saying 'coming soon'.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Figuring the board has been on holiday I'm hoping for a ramp-up after New Year's. This stuff really does drive me nuts and I'm (probably) not racing over this year.

What we know is the race will start mid-day on June 23rd off the Corinthian Yacht Club in Tiburon, and the awards dinner in Kauai will be 21 days after that. We know the equipment requirements so skippers can prepare:

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...-for-the-Event

We also know the requirements for the qualifying sail so you can get that done. If you're local and renting your liferaft from Sal's, I'd be calling over there starting Tuesday to select your raft and make a deposit (it's also a PacCup year and they have a large DH fleet). If you're renting a satphone I'd be getting that scoped out. That's most of it, right? When the R/C starts needing money they'll magically get the calendar and communications sorted!

All -
    Ramping up has indeed begun.
    or the cats have been herded into the forward direction.
    pick your metaphor.

The SHTP registration, with updated dates etc should be up later today.
    Same deal for the the 3BF which will also include season membership registration.

Bob is, per usual, correct that there has been no change to the SHTP "known quantities", apart from the deposit deadline, which will update to the end of January.

Stand by for further updates, at this point we are simply waiting on JS to process.

DH

True story to add some perspective, then I need to go over and re-install Rags' freshly-overhauled winches:

I ended up co-chairing the SHTP in 2010 because no other skipper wanted to do it. It was the Fall of 2009 and the docs weren't being prepared, the seminars weren't scheduled, etc. I started working on the docs out of frustration, and because I fill out forms for a living (tax forms, but still). Bill Merrick (SSS Commode d'Or) got wind of this, took me out to breakfast in Sausalito and started twisting my arm. I told Bill that I would only consider being a co-chair - I didn't want to be responsible for the whole thing. So Bill got Rob to do the Hawaii part and I did the mainland part.

I absolutely obsessed over the job and probably drove some potential skippers away with my nit-picking. So I've experienced both sides of all this. The race will happen and the skippers who participate will have the time of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    What we know is the race will start mid-day on June 23rd off the Corinthian Yacht Club in Tiburon, and the awards dinner in Kauai will be 21 days after that.
    Part of the agreement with the Corinthian Yacht Club is that The Race will start @ 10 am instead of Noon in 2018. It is better for everybody: The wooden boats can find space earlier, sailors' butterflies in the stomach evaporate sooner and the ebb whooshes everybody out and on to the great pacific adventure. Here are the currents for Saturday June 23, 2018: 0115 3.4E 0523 0746 2.1F 1035 1325 2.5E 1639 1919 2.4F 2209.

That January 1 deadline? Probably just a leftover from the 2016 race registration. This is the SSS and deadlines are famously permeable. Fear not: The race committee wheels are turning. Also, I read this in a book somewhere:

The Race is the rai·son d'ê·tre for the club. It is not the only reason for which the Singlehanded Sailing Society exists. However, an argument can be made that without that Race every two years, the SSS might just fade away like so many other voluntary organizations. Most people agree that, even if no race committee existed to organize the Transpac, the Race would happen anyway. Sailors would meet at an agreed upon time. They would sail out of the San Francisco Bay. They would show up in Hanalei some days later.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    They would sail out of the San Francisco Bay. They would show up in Hanalei some days later.
    That's the spirit! Just go ...