Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Three bridge fiasco 2018

Default Three bridge fiasco 2018

Let's not forget that this is our race, even though it seems at times to have been overrun by arrivistes. Jocelyn Nash once told me that members of her family, complete with fourth generation sailors on the Bay, begin their annual Fiasco strategies over Christmas dinner. That means that the Nashes are way ahead of most of us.

How about stories from you all? I'll start: I'm importing my talent from Stoughton, Wisconsin. Amy Johanning, married to Dustin Johanning, a decorated Wisconsin State Trooper (that's Highway Patrol to us), is a former rodeo queen and champion barrel racer. She's also more competitive than me. When I invited her she immediately read everything about the race. Her text last night? "Will we sail clockwise or counterclockwise?" Bless her heart. I gave her the currents and mentioned wind forecasts as additional factors. Figured that might slow her down for about ten minutes. Text this morning? She downloaded the NOAA weather site for SF on her IPhone. Huh. I might just give her the boat and watch from the race deck.

Here's Amy on Rosie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-29-2017 at 12:40 PM.

I guess you'll list the horse as a "pet" onboard? No fair hooking her up to the driveshaft! But it does take more than one horsepower to get a Cal 27 going - or does it? --- Pat

To whomever is reading.... I strongly doubt my rudder will be done in time, and that saturday is also Burns Night...a big deal for us kilties. So I'm available for race committee from 7-11 AM
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

For the first time ever, I'm planning to do this race doublehand with Beccie. I have too much bling on Kynntanaa right now getting ready for SHTP. Could use an extra pair of eyes and we're planning to throw up the kite. For the first time ever....

Oh, you all did hear that the regatta has been renamed, Three Bridal Fiasco? We're going to come in veils

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Oh, you all did hear that the regatta has been renamed, Three Bridal Fiasco? We're going to come in veils
    #me too!!
    I haven’t worn a veil since my holy communion!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    #me too!!
    I haven’t worn a veil since my holy communion!
    Ha! That's one time more than I. Where does one find a veil....?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Ha! That's one time more than I. Where does one find a veil....?
    Ebay! Where else would anyone get a wedding veil for a sailboat race? I don't think Svendsen's carries 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-01-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Mmmmh ... I signed up for this race (singlehanded) but I just read that it attracts a very large number of participants with starts every 90 secs. I'm a total newbie to racing and I'm not sure this is a good idea now. The last thing I want is a collision ...
    Last edited by Gamayun; 01-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Hi Philippe -
    well yeah, I hear you about a lot of boats.
    a couple of thoughts:
    1. Not everyone starts at once, and while there are probably a number of boats that will be starting at the 99 rating time, the bulk of the fleet will have cleared out.
    2. Most skippers understand the nature of the race [above referenced Jibeset typo not withstanding, it really is called a Fiasco] and don't sail super aggressively.

there are of course a couple of other options; you can sail double handed or, if it all just sounds like to much, you are always welcome to help with the race deck.
    particularly for this race, we need all the help we can get!

one way or the other, I'd encourage you to sign up for the season...
    assuming you are planning to do the races leading up to the SHTP [Corinthian, Round the Rocks, Single Handed Farallones] you'll be money ahead in the end.

Best,

DH