Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Three bridge fiasco 2018

With a bit of indecision we missed out on the city front attempt and headed for Yellow Bluff - quickly slipping West and joining the Lime Point conveyor. After a couple of passes and witnessing a light collision we headed for Baker Beach.
    Delightful sailing over there with just 2 or 3 other boats each taking their turn at getting around Fort Point. Alas, the wind was only cooperating West of the bridge. It was a fun few hours and after motoring through the cityfront collection I'm happy to have ended up out there. Great day, thanks RC!
    The PCExpress

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    With a bit of indecision we missed out on the city front attempt and headed for Yellow Bluff - quickly slipping West and joining the Lime Point conveyor. After a couple of passes and witnessing a light collision we headed for Baker Beach.
    Delightful sailing over there with just 2 or 3 other boats each taking their turn at getting around Fort Point. Alas, the wind was only cooperating West of the bridge. It was a fun few hours and after motoring through the cityfront collection I'm happy to have ended up out there. Great day, thanks RC!
    The PCExpress
    Hmm, sigh. If I'd have been singlehanding, this is what I would have done, too. About 3 hours of going no where near the H Beam, I asked my DH partner if she'd like to head out the gate. She was adamant about sticking it through so 6 hours after getting around Blackaller and.....almost....making it back to the start line, we finally got some wind around 4 pm. This allowed us to make our way around Blackaller, but then we were stopped again just on the other side of the Bay Bridge in front of the CG cutter. It looked like one of the Wylies was making it around (clockwise) under the Bay Bridge at the same time as us, but it would have been tight against the flood to make way up the city front. We were hoping he would make it because it was going to be close. That must have been frustrating. Finally for us, after 8.5 hours since our start at 9:43, we gave up and turned toward the estuary. At least we hadn't gotten all the way to Richmond before calling it quits! I think that was the longest I've ever drifted/anchored in one spot during a race. At one point, we were anchored with the stern about 20 feet off the beach. That was just too close for me and yet I did it because, heh, we're racing, right

According to their certificates, the four finishers weighed between 928# (F25c) and 2,450# (Express 27).

It wasn't gonna be happenin' for the rest of us.

Dura Mater was caught in that maelstrom over there at the north tower for about an hour trying to get past Lime Point. It reminded me of my route home to Oakland from the Berkeley Marina, what is referred to as The Maze by the traffic people. I am always surprised by how few accidents occur there, largely because people slow down and are generally courteous of one another.

The same behavior was apparent Saturday in what is called The Golden Gate – that body of water between Point Bonita and the Golden Gate Bridge. First there were just a few of us: The Big, the Beautiful, the Dura Mater and a few really quick Merits. We watched as dozens more were flushed our way, some skippers resigned, others indignant. I was impressed by the tenacity of the sailors, and the focused determination to remain calm in the face of the increasingly violent water around us.

It was like a ballet of wild things: a dozen or more sailboats sailing right up to rocks in that tiny inlet on starboard, then slowly, one by one, calls for “room to tack!”, and the row of boats unfolding one by one by one to port.

I caught sight of Dan Alvarez on Jetstream, what looked like a tiny boat below DM’s bow, and told my crew to “Watch that guy! If he can’t get out of this mess, nobody can!” Dan is a very animated sailor. He makes it look fun. Well, it Was fun!

We tried to get ‘round the point at least eight times, only to be flushed back. The little vessel Tom Allen was right there in front of us time and again, its skipper and crew moving gracefully back and forth. I lost sight of them until much later, when we followed them into the SF small boat harbor. What happened to them? I’d love to know. Theirs was a valiant effort.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-30-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Imagine adding an R2AK modifier...

Now imagine what great shape you'd be in after sculling Rags 21 miles...

I'd have people for that.

Default Three Bridge Fiasco Bullet

https://vimeo.com/253448908

unsuccessful attempt to conquer to North Tower

Larry Baskin
    Bullet

Since 2oo4. Most difficult 3B to think about. clockwise for sure but considered figure 8. anchored at st francis, rolled sails, bout to start motor, felt a breeze, sailed forward n backwards, after time, why fight it, just ebb around blackaller later and return with north wind.

after dnf-ing while between jet stream n summertime, watched a lone moore24 chute south into raccoon hugging the north shore of angel. a seamless transition to a #1 and steady expeditious progress toward pt stuart impressed upon me that this crew was extra-ordinary. later found out it was immoral.

A day of extra ordinary sailors. we witnessed how the A-grade apply strat, tacts, boat handling and deft anchoring skills.

In the 1st 15 minutes I immediately realized it was not a day for SH'ers. Each tack had to be perfect, each change in wind needed a jib adjustment, tacks needed to be anticipated 2 tacks earlier, traffic negotiated, quick deployment and anchor retrieval.

Funny moment, i almost called rights on a quickly approaching port tacker only to realize that i was starboard slipping backward and they were anchored in place.

It was nice to stay inside the gate.
    Last edited by Submarino; 01-30-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    According to their certificates, the four finishers weighed between 928# (F25c) and 2,450# (Express 27).

BobJ, Re-check your units. ;-)

F-25C is 928kg (2046#)

Cheers!!!

-CH
    F-25C #06 Mojo

Your BAMA certificate just says "928". Here in the US that would be pounds - sorry for the error.

It's still less than my boat's keel bulb (and Rags is at the lighter end).
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-31-2018 at 11:32 PM.