Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Three bridge fiasco 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Mmmmh ... I signed up for this race (singlehanded) but I just read that it attracts a very large number of participants with starts every 90 secs. I'm a total newbie to racing and I'm not sure this is a good idea now. The last thing I want is a collision ...
    Ditto everything David said! I'll add a few points as I was in your shoes just 4 years ago. Despite what I said above about doing it doublehand this year, this race always makes me nervous, but especially when I'm by myself in a 38-footer (PHRF 141). However, it's also just a hell of a lot of fun. I've only ever done it singlehanded, finishing it twice out of 4 times, and winning my division once. So not bad stats. That said, the key to avoiding collisions (for me at least) is to never take your eye off any boat and to not sail too aggressively. Short tacking near the start line can be done, but seems to have the most potential for danger because of the congestion. Just figure out the timing and go for the line when your start is coming up. Don't worry if you don't make the start on the exact time. Above all else, don't second guess which way you want to go. Pick a direction and go. You can always change course later. Not paying attention to other boats, EVEN when you're on starboard tack, is a recipe for disaster. Call out to any boat that you're not sure of their intention. They'll appreciate it, too, if they didn't see you. Most boats who are doing the race double-handed seem to generally sail with full crew or may be relatively new to racing, and are not used to short-handed conditions. I think the race is even harder when there's light wind and adverse currents because of steerage problems so keep that in mind as you're drifting around and try to anticipate what's going on around you. Those are the times when I typically hear the most yelling and contact. Lastly, if you like being pushed outside your comfort zone, then do this race singlehanded. You're likely to remember it fondly for years to come

The last thing I want is a collision ...
    Philippe, I promise that Dura Mater will not collide with you.

Hi Phillipe,
    You gotta do the 3BF! It's quite the experience and you will be talking about it for weeks. And with the Olson 30, you have just the right boat.

Some thoughts for SH first timer:

1. With all the traffic, keeping your jib down until after the start can help you negotiate the pre-start traffic.
    2. Assume people don't see you and shout something (like your rights, intentions, boat name or sail number).
    3. Stay away from the starting pin unless your feel gelcoat is dispensable.
    4. Tuck your outboard motor away, else it may get clipped.
    5. Keep your eye on the large fleets like the Moore 24's or the Express 27's to help with strategic decisions.
    6. Make sure Blackaller Buoy and the Finish Pin is on your GPS, especially for after dark.
    7. Check your nav lites for near dusk finishes.
    8. Make sure that anchor and line is ready to go.
    9. Read the restricted areas and place them on the GPS, especially Anita Rock, Chevron Pier area near Redrock and the Spans under the bay bridge.
    10. Once you start, stick to your plan and keep up the boat speed by hand steering as much as possible.

Shoot me a PM or direct contact through the forum. Skip says we are dry storage neighbors.

JB

PJ - I've nothing to add since DaveH, Gamayum, and Submarino (especially #2,5,6,9) covered it all. I've also done it only 4-5 times, with I think 2 finishes, in 200+ rated boats -- which means I start early, which means there are TONS of fast boats buzzing around the starting area and making life difficult. If I can do it, so can you! As noted, at 99 you'll have much less traffic to deal with.

3BF will be the complete antithesis of the long solitary trials you've been doing out of SC. Even the trip to the start is neat, seeing boats converge from all parts of the bay while you finish your coffee and double check your tide book. The start may be a little stressful, and Blackaller can be hairy if everyone goes there first, but beyond that it's all grins. Don't miss it! Sail conservatively and take the marks as wide as you like.

Oh, I will add: don't quit too soon. Some years I didn't show up because the forecast was too light for my slow boat, or I took an early DNF, only to find the wind filled in later and boats rated even slower than mine finished. On an O30 you're as likely to get it done as anyone. Bring patience and a long rode. You never know.
    Last edited by Lanikai; 01-04-2018 at 11:25 PM.

In a flood, don't go anywhere near Point Campbell on Angel Island is all I have to say.

Thanks for the advice ...

San Francisco Bay Entrance (Golden Gate)
    2018-01-27 Sat 9:04 AM PST -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 12:22 PM PST -4.8 knots Max Ebb
    2018-01-27 Sat 4:25 PM PST 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 5:28 PM PST Sunset
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:26 PM PST 3.6 knots Max Flood

Alcatraz (North Point)
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:47 AM PST -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 11:29 AM PST -2.0 knots Max Ebb
    2018-01-27 Sat 3:59 PM PST 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 5:27 PM PST Sunset
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:04 PM PST 1.4 knots Max Flood

That's a lot of current in the wrong direction ... I have no experience with currents in general but looking at current maps at l-36.com it looks like crossing the starting line W to E and going for Red Rock through the North end of Alcatraz avoids the strongest currents, then coming back the same way and sailing East side of Treasure Island to round Yerba Buena, going for Blackaller and then the finish line. That almost amounts to doing one side of the triangle twice ... not sure it makes sense ...

Thanks for the advice ...

San Francisco Bay Entrance (Golden Gate)
    2018-01-27 Sat 9:04 AM PST -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 12:22 PM PST -4.8 knots Max Ebb
    2018-01-27 Sat 4:25 PM PST 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 5:28 PM PST Sunset
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:26 PM PST 3.6 knots Max Flood

Alcatraz (North Point)
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:47 AM PST -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 11:29 AM PST -2.0 knots Max Ebb
    2018-01-27 Sat 3:59 PM PST 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
    2018-01-27 Sat 5:27 PM PST Sunset
    2018-01-27 Sat 7:04 PM PST 1.4 knots Max Flood

That's a lot of current in the wrong direction ... I have no experience with currents in general but looking at current maps at l-36.com it looks like crossing the starting line W to E and going for Red Rock through the North end of Alcatraz avoids the strongest currents, then coming back the same way and sailing East side of Treasure Island to round Yerba Buena, going for Blackaller and then the finish line. That almost amounts to doing one side of the triangle twice ... not sure it makes sense ...
    After 4 years of trying to figure out this race, I realize I end up going the same way every time. My strategy is to not to think too hard about it beforehand because I change my mind anyway once I assess conditions on the ground and see what's happening with the first few fleets ahead...

Just to avoid the throngs ... I may go the wake less sailed ...

Two days before the meeting, how about some chatter? First of all, singlehanders, Beware The Ranger 23 on Saturday. If I were a betting person .... And is that Rick the Elkins registered for the Race on his new Corsair? YES! Good for you, Rick! Thank you again for being our Race Chair for the last two years. You were just the BEST!! Thank goodness we have someone new who obviously knows what he's doing, otherwise you wouldn't be down there on the water (Jim Vickers must know what he's doing, right? Isn't he the skipper of Azure)? Kynntana, will we be blinded by the sun reflecting off your new pedestal? Whooeee! I look forward to seeing it. As of today I see thirteen J105s. Word on the water is that skippers on those boats are serious. 22 Express 27s, and 27 Moore 22s, one (Moxie) with a rating of "1". Must be a really fast one! I'm sure glad Dura Mater doesn't have a 150 rating with the same start!! Scary!

I'm reminded of the quote, most often attributed to Albert Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

This is my 14th or 15th try at this "delightful" race, and this time I'll have a foolproof plan! I just haven't figured out what it is yet.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.