Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Three bridge fiasco 2018

I have no plan (again) and no arch installed (yet), but I will have my ace navigator, Beccie, on board. We're going to be doing it doublehanded for the first time, which kinda makes me nervous as hell for some reason. Have any of you singlehanders gone the DH route in the past? How'd that work out? At least now, I know there will be someone with a brain on the boat who will come up with a good plan and will actually implement it

Yes, last year I raced the 3BF doublehanded for the first time. Dave Morris said he thought we should go counter-clockwise, even though that wasn't the conventional wisdom for the forecast. I should have listened to Dave.

So I'd listen to Beccie if I were you.

So far the forecast is:

Light winds...becoming nw 5 kt.

Should be fun....

Bring a box of donuts. We'll gather at Pt. Bonita...

I'm trying to picture this ... With a strong ebb current and very light wind most boats won't be able to overcome the ebb. Then what? They'll motor to stay "up tide", will cross the starting line towards the GG, go for 50 yards and drop anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I'm trying to picture this ... With a strong ebb current and very light wind most boats won't be able to overcome the ebb. Then what? They'll motor to stay "up tide", will cross the starting line towards the GG, go for 50 yards and drop anchor?
    Although anchoring 50 yards up current before the 3BF start is an option, it is not usually recommended due to traffic. Better to keep the engine running until 5 minutes before your start time and position yourself far enough from the line to drift down current and cross the line east to west.

What happens next as the fleet approaches Blackaller Buoy can be a real cluster*%*! with boats being swept by on both sides at a rapid clip as they play bumper boats. Little chance for a seabreeze at this time of day, more likely light northerly drainage out of Richardson Bay/East Bay. After Blackaller, port tack is the only hope, but if your boat speed isn't >3 knots, you're likely going for an ocean tour and donuts at Pt. Bonita. Suggest having #1 ready to go.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-25-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Skip, I'm sure you are toasty warm tucked up in Ruby somewhere pretty just now. Wish you would come down here and sail with us. You are always welcome on Dura Mater.

Any weirds of wordsdom from the skippers' meeting? Traffic was brutal last night so I didn't try to drive over.

T = my start time. By T minus ten (min.) I need to have checked in. At T minus five min. the engine must be out of gear, and I may enter the sacred 50-yard boundary around the starting line, which extends both ways from the line and in a semi-circle beyond the pin.

Stay out of restricted areas, call in and (if necessary) light up sail numbers when finishing, note finish time and boats ahead/behind for sorting later.

Is that the gist of it?
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-25-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Any weirds of wordsdom from the skippers' meeting? Traffic was brutal last night so I didn't try to drive over.

T = my start time. By T minus ten (min.) I need to have checked in. At T minus five min. the engine must be out of gear, and I may enter the sacred 50-yard area around the starting line, which extends both ways from the line and in a semi-circle beyond the pin.

Stay out of restricted areas, call in and (if necessary) light up sail numbers when finishing, note finish time and boats ahead/behind for sorting later.

Is that the gist of it?
    And that new starting times were posted yesterday. Lights on after NOAA sunset 5:28pm.

Thanks PJ.

Hmm, half of my division has transferred to Doublehanded - the weenies. This means the only plaque I'll possibly get will be on my teeth.

Oh, but my sole division competitor won SH overall two years ago - there's some motivation!