Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SER Questions

Default SER Questions

My question is regarding the flare requirements. Section 3.6.2 lists the same 10 flares as section 3.39 although they can't be used to satisfy 3.39. So are we really required to carry 20 SOLAS flares, 10 in the life raft and 10 additional? If so, can we use our old expired flares to satisfy 3.39 since the expiration date shown is 2014 or is this just a typo?

Bill Meanley
    s/v Dolfin

Good questions. While we're talking about flares, are the two orange smoke flares called for in 3.6.1 in addition to the two orange smoke flares listed in 3.6.2, or is that a typo?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Thanks Bill and Lee -
    to Clarify-
    The requirement is the number and types listed in 3.6.2
    [i] Four SOLAS red parachute flares. [ii] Four SOLAS handheld red flares. [iii] Two SOLAS orange smoke flares.
    with expiration dates not earlier than the last day of the race (7/14/2018).

The intent of 3.6.5 is to prevent people from storing them in the raft container.
    what we want to prevent is someone having to dig thru and/or deploy the raft to access them in a situation where the boat is not sinking.

SO, if you own your own raft, feel free to package the 10 flares above in a water proof container and attach that securely to the raft.
    If, however, you are renting a raft with flares included, or the flares are part of the raft service pack, you can't use these against the requirement.

The 2014 dates and the extra 2 smoke flares are indeed typo's, We'll get that corrected ASAP.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 01-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks for the quick response, Dave. That all makes sense.

And for another clarification, the "OR (see 3.33.4)" added at the end of 3.33.3 in the current draft means we need EITHER a heavy weather jib 13.5 % or less of I squared, OR a 5% storm jib, but NOT BOTH?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    the "OR (see 3.33.4)" added at the end of 3.33.3 in the current draft means we need EITHER a heavy weather jib 13.5 % or less of I squared, OR a 5% storm jib, but NOT BOTH?
    That is correct, you are not required to carry both.

DH

I still have hopes, so here is a question.

A boat shall carry a 406MHz EPIRB that is properly registered to the boat. This device shall
    have an internal GPS ( for self-location ). MMSI for this device must be supplied to the Race
    Committee. A Personal Locator beacon (PLB) may also be carried, but does not satisfy this
    requirement. SSS Change

Does this mean I cannot rent a epirb from BoatUs? The wording "Properly registered to the boat" is what concerns me.

Boat US will take care of routing the information to the Appropriate authorities;
    See below exerpted from the Boat US website page here

How do I provide my vessel information?

When you rent a beacon, Foundation staff will ask you for the same information you would provide NOAA in their registration along with a trip itinerary and emergency contact information. We have provided NOAA and the Coast Guard with a toll-free number to our Emergency Dispatch Center that is staffed 24 hours/7 days a week by trained emergency response staff. In the rare event that you may need to activate your rental beacon, BoatU.S. Emergency Dispatch staff will forward your rental information to the Coast Guard or Air Force, and other search and rescue teams.

While it is indirect, effectively you would be considered "properly registered".
    We would ask that you include the RC on the contact tree with Boat US (if possible) and to supply a copy of the rental agreement showing the MMSI and that for the rental period the beacon is assigned to your boat.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 01-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Are we collecting SHTP questions/answers in an FAQ we can post to the website? Just a thought because some of these might still provide helpful info in future races...

I do have a tracking list...
    I'll clean it up and send to you later today

DH

Thank you David for your clarifications. While we're at it, there are some other requirements in this new spreadsheet format that could be confusing or maybe just don't apply to singlehanding. For example 3.15, the ability to mark the location of a MOB within 10 seconds. Good luck with that. Or 3.24.2, an additional flashlight for each crew member. Or 3.28, a waterproof safety diagram which I think is a new requirement and perhaps would be more useful with a crewed boat where some crew may not be familiar with emergency equipment locations. Skippers in this race hopefully don't need to refer to a diagram to learn where their fire extinguishers, flares or even that emergency bottle of Jack Daniels is stashed. The more we can simplify and tailor these requirements to singlehanded offshore racing the better and safer we will all be. Just trying to be helpful.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37