Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelagic control head installation

Default Pelagic control head installation

OK team, would y'all mind explaining...pictures are even better... where you have the control unit for your Pelagic autopilot located? I mean the thing where you push buttons to change course and setting, not the "black box" with the internal "brains".

I have an extra washboard for the companionway ready to go, was thinking about mounting it on that.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-05-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I think it wants to be mounted vertically. Check with Brian. Also check his website for the installation manual. You can have it rear facing or forward facing. Somewhere reachable from your helming position on either tack is good.

Hmm. I thought the control head, the "black box" had to be facing fore or aft and be essentially vertical. I've done that, it's on the bulkhead at the aft end of the starboard quarterberth, facing forward.

I mean the the box (which happens to be black in this version) with the buttons, pictured here.

Name:  tiller_wand-300x225.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  18.7 KB

This part....

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/18...G?v=1490160228

How do you lads and lasses have yours set up?
    ==================

The "black box" with the multicolored wire array coming out of it, I've mounted vertically, facing forward, on the quarter berth bulkhead..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/18...G?v=1493277189

That is a newer looking unit. In the previous version, and probably this one, the box with the display and buttons also contains the accellerometer/gyro, so needs the vertical mount. The black box with no buttons just has the power amplifier ICs to drive the motor, and also the DC/DC converter to power the smart head.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I mean the the box (which happens to be black in this version) with the buttons, pictured here.
    Mine is above the tiller, when not in use, covered from the Berzerkeley elements by a custom lavendar cover by Synthia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alan, what David said is correct.
    The piece you want to take care to mount vertically and either facing fore or aft is the piece with the buttons.
    As he said, it contains the brains of the unit and the gyro/accellerometer chip.
    As with any gyro, the closer you can get that to the center axis of motion, the better.
    Of course one still needs to be able to reach it, so somewhere in the cockpit is the answer.

I have mine mounted to port of the companionway, basically as far away from the magnetic compass as was feasible.
    mounting it in a washboard sounds feasible (I think that's what Bob J did??), provided you can make sure the washboard absolutely does not move independently of the rest of the boat.
    A little wobble could get you some big errors, depending on the settings

my .02

DH

I have mine mounted like Jackie's (sans lavendar) at the aft end of the cockpit facing forward. Dyslectics like myself need to think before pressing buttons when the box is facing this direction, but I got used to it fairly quickly. Key is to have this box within reach of the tiller and the ram so you can continue to hand steer while adjusting the length of the ram before dropping it on the pin and hitting the "auto" button.

My old one was mounted on the transom below the tiller head and somewhat on Starboard side. It really depends on your transom setup. One might need even to fab a wedge shaped adaptor to mount it on a slanting surface. Not too low, you want to minimize immersion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL0S04jxyps

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    ...mounting it in a washboard sounds feasible (I think that's what Bob J did??), provided you can make sure the washboard absolutely does not move independently of the rest of the boat. A little wobble could get you some big errors, depending on the settings...
    Yep. Several layers of black tape on the ends eliminates the wobble. I like being able to store it below. A single, large drop board goes in its place for locking up the boat. I also wanted it at the front of the cockpit for tacks and gybes.

Name:  Bezel Front.JPG
Views: 2255
Size:  575.3 KB