Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring and Its Discontents

Given that everyone hates all the extra weight of added chain you might find the attached link interesting. the links linked to the link (if you get my drift) are also interesting. Big eye opener for me. http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php

That is a very interesting article and food for thought. One additional reason I added more chain is I will often anchor in fairly shallow water subject to significant tidal currents. I have had my nylon rode wrap around the keel more than once as the tide turns. Depending on wind speed you can wind up with some strange boat swings and orientations. If the wind picks up you can get stuck ass to wind with a wrap around the keel. This will happen at about 3:00 AM in the morning. Don't ask how I know this. The longer chain is heavy enough to stay below the keel as the boat swings.

Not a problem for Hanalei fortunately. I have a 15Kg CQR. Based upon the results described in the article it might be time to look for a more modern design although the only time the CQR has failed me was in heavy weed at Monterey. I just could not get the thing to set.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 01-10-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Depending on wind speed you can wind up with some strange boat swings and orientations. If the wind picks up you can get stuck ass to wind with a wrap around the keel. .
    This might be a dumb question, but what would result from a second, small anchor off the stern?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    DM doesn't even have a bow roller. Yet. I'm hoping for photographs and suggestions.
    Why am I always so sure I have great pictures of these things tucked away in iCloud, and it turns out I don't?

Here's the best I can offer from Happiness. Garhauer AR-20 is the roller. I installed it while anchored in Clipper Cove, using small bits of Starboard and teak that I had aboard as spacers below the roller, and a thicker piece of teak with some huge fender washers for a backing plate belowdeck. The roller just barely squoze between the forestay fitting and the starboard light. With the Danforth yanked up in the roller, ready for deployment, a fluke usually blocks the running light -- another project (mounting a bicolor on the pulpit). I always thought I'd upgrade to an oversize Fortress or one of the new generation spade types, but the no-name little danforth that came with my boat has held through some unexpected conditions and the shank fits easily in the roller so it stays for now. I like having it ready to go. Not a pretty setup, but there are uglier things on this boat. And no spinnaker snags yet, but that's probably just a matter of time.

I see a lot of rollers mounted as far forward as possible. I guess it works for some, but...long moment arm + big swell + yawing, pitching boat = busted roller, chafe, etc. I dun seen it on the internet. I like it mounted as far inboard as possible.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=24
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Lanikai; 01-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    This was on Scaramouche with a truly massive assym. I never used it in heavy winds because I couldn't manage it in heavy winds by myself But the loads would be radically scaled down in any of the boats pictured above. For those that don't know, Scaramouche was a 50' alum. IOR boat with a massive fore triangle. I would guess that my system was stronger than the bowsprits typically put together for this application.
    Found on another forum:

Name:  Scaramouche.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  2.63 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but what would result from a second, small anchor off the stern?
    I tried this once in shallow water at China Camp. There was enough slack in the two rodes to allow the boat to get nearly broadside to the two anchors during the flood. I felt like, and probably was, a complete idiot. I now had a bar taught rode from both the bow and the stern. I don't remember how I finally got off, I do remember it was a complete cluster you know what and provided a half hour of first class entertainment to the other boats anchored there (and no, I couldn't wait for slack water). I never tried this again.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 01-11-2018 at 01:36 PM.

The last time I was in Hanalei Bay in 2014 one of the other competitors set two anchors because while the boats tend to be wind rode and lie with bows towards the beach the swell comes around the point and is on the beam. The result is a fairly uncomfortable roll. This other fellow set his anchor off the stern but towards the beach so he could hold his boat head to swell. In the normally gentle conditions this apparently made life on board much more comfortable. I had a better idea and slept ashore. Like all open roadsteads Hanalei Bay is a completely untenable anchorage when there is a serious wind shift away from the normal tradewind pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    The last time I was in Hanalei Bay in 2014 one of the other competitors set two anchors because while the boats tend to be wind rode and lie with bows towards the beach the swell comes around the point and is on the beam. The result is a fairly uncomfortable roll. This other fellow set his anchor off the stern but towards the beach so he could hold his boat head to swell. In the normally gentle conditions this apparently made life on board much more comfortable. I had a better idea and slept ashore. Like all open roadsteads Hanalei Bay is a completely untenable anchorage when there is a serious wind shift away from the normal tradewind pattern.
    It is amazing how well you can sleep at sea with the boat bucking around like crazy but once you are at anchor, just a little rolling is enough to drive you nuts.

I don't know why a racing boat would add a bow anchor roller just to anchor in Hanalei. Such an assembly has to be really strong and exists for permanent anchor storage and convenience with a windlass.

Anchoring for a light boat is likely by a bridle from the bow cleats (if you have any). Those cleats have to be strong.

Who wants the weight of an anchor on the bow while racing to Hawaii? That's cruising-boat stuff. Put it down below.

Just opinions, of course.
    Thelonious II, Ericson 38 (formerly Thelonious, E32-3)
    Los Angeles
    Table of Contents Thelonious Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    That's cruising-boat stuff. Put it down below.
    Hey now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Just opinions, of course.
    Whew. Glad to know that, Christian, I do love your videos so your opinions are right in my book and my racer/cruiser bonafides remain intact, though maybe I should post a picture of my new solar arch. I insisted that it have a pull up bar...seriously not kidding. It is so cool, too.

Looking forward to racing ya'll to Kauai!