Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android TabE Lite

Max has acquired the life-stealing corporate spying thingamabob, complete with the installation of the OpenCPN port for Android, and a NOAA chart catalog for California. Thanks , Max.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Thank you, Alan. So far, I haven't figured out how to let this thing steal my life, but that's taken care of by my little Android phone anyway. The navigation part doesn't seem to care who I am.

Jackie, can I get the name of the protective case/handle/stand that you have for your TabE? It sounds pretty slick.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Jackie, can I get the name of the protective case/handle/stand that you have for your TabE? It sounds pretty slick.
    Max
    Hi, Max, Here is the one I recommended for Alan. I suggested that he might look pretty in pink, but other colors are available. How's the wind down your way? I sailed over to Richmond YC today in order to make arrangements for the Cruise-Out with the harbormaster, but he has Wednesday/Thursday off :-(
    The water was glassy out of Berkeley at 11 am, and 18 knots when I sailed back. Summer wind is back here. How do you find sailing in Southern California? Are you really liking those singlehanders? I liked the ones I met in Hanalei Bay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Child-Ki...R-wS5F0o8QgcqQ
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.

I discovered another use for it. I've been going to the open microphone jazz jams at the COHO at Stanford. I show up, me being OLD, with actual jazz fake books...PAPER fake books called "The Real Book" vols. I and II dating from the late 1970's. All these young punks I'm playing with know the website that has all the Real Book pages scanned and available to view. So they're putting their phones on their music stands and reading the chord changes from them.

I, personally, would go blind if I tried that but the TabELite would be The Hot Ticket for this function. Then, of course, Google wold know that I screwed up the chord changes to All The Things You Are, last monday and I would see advertising for "How to improve your sight reading skills in ten weeks for the compleat musical idiot ".
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Well, Jackie, I've had a total of maybe three hours of sailing on Iniscaw since I moved it down in May. You see, I'm still in the bay area. Hoping to complete my move in about a week.
    Those three hours were very pleasant, but it's weird not having landmarks to aim for, e.g. "I think I'll just round Alcatraz today and head back." Instead, once I exit the marina I'm on the ocean. "I guess I'll sail on starboard until 3:00 then head back in."
    Haven't met the PSSA folks yet. Thanks for the link - I might go for pink!

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Well, Jackie, I've had a total of maybe three hours of sailing on Iniscaw since I moved it down in May. Those three hours were very pleasant, but it's weird not having landmarks to aim for, e.g. "I think I'll just round Alcatraz today and head back." Instead, once I exit the marina I'm on the ocean. "I guess I'll sail on starboard until 3:00 then head back in."
    That's a real interesting distinction, Max. After the Half Moon Bay race in 2016 I sailed down to Monterey and kept my boat there for about five weeks. The Public Harbor there is very nice. Different because there are so many commercial boats in there. My neighbor was an older man who had retired from being a commercial fisherman, the harbor master was very nice and Monterey is lovely small town. However, as you have noticed, once you sail out of the harbor you are in the ocean and there is really nowhere to go except Moss Landing (two hours in Dura Mater) or Santa Cruz, four hours with really good wind. Nothing in between. No Sam's, Ferry Building, Ayala Cove, Aquatic Cove, Richardson's Bay etc etc.

I can't sail over to Richmond Yacht Club to find Rick Elkins puttering on his boat, South Beach Harbor to collect veterans who want to sail, or Pasta Pelican to chat with both the Commodore and the Race Chair of the SSS Transpacific Yacht Race! Huh! I think maybe we take this big fat bay for granted. Plus all its predictable wind. And it is back, that wind.

By the way, staying in Monterey Harbor cost $525 during those five weeks in 2016. I just called the Monterey harbormaster who told me that this summer the cost would be $588/month. Pretty pricey when compared with my slip fee of $301/month for Berkeley. What was it Dorothy said to Toto? "There's no place like home, there's no place like home....."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.