Thread: SSS Corinthian 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SSS Corinthian 2018

Good day,
    I signed up for this event but I couldn't find the SI on Jibeset. Did I miss them?
    Thanks in advance.

Usually it is closer to the skippers meeting before the SI's are posted.

I sent in my PHRF application yesterday. Hopefully it comes back in time.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

That's the most confusing starring instructions I've ever seen! I suggest a 2nd radio channel to handle the call ins asking "When's my start." Why try to invent a new wheel when the perfectly round one has been working for years?
    Pat Broderick

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    That's the most confusing starring instructions I've ever seen! I suggest a 2nd radio channel to handle the call ins asking "When's my start." Why try to invent a new wheel when the perfectly round one has been working for years?
    Pat Broderick
    Caaaareful now. Remember that this is a volunteer position and our new race chair is the new guy. He doesn't know what chaos looks like yet. He thinks he does because he ran the Fiasco. But only four boats finished during the Fiasco. Wait until Saturday night. Then we can debate all the things he should have done to benefit each of us personally. For the time being, I'm going to be reeeeal nice to him.

Jim, can I buy you a beer after the race Saturday night? Dura Mater and I will be coming in waaaay after the multi hulls. See you then. Jackie

The RC did reach out to many to ask for opinions...... I was in the camp of "if it has worked for all these years and our numbers are the highest they have ever been why change the working formula?". The start time should not be changed unless a freighter decides to go through Raccoon Straight.

Default PRO replies

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Pat Broderick
    Hi Pat,

I'm Jim, 2018 Race Chair for the SSS, and the PRO for this event. I think I can address your question.

The "perfectly round" wheel that's "been working for years" doesn't conform with the RRS. It said "The start for Flag C will be at 11:05, the start for Flag D will be at 11:10, etc." Have you ever seen SIs that look like that?

The proper "RRS" way is to say when the first warning will be, thus I changed the instructions to say the warning for Flag C will be at 11:00. Since we're following the RRS, as stated in Rule 1a of the NOR, that makes the start time 11:05 for Flag C. Now I admit that when I said the warning for Flag D will be "at or after Flag C start" I could have left all that out and simply stated "We intend to start races in the order listed below."

Had I left the instructions as written, I felt there was more opportunity for confusion. For instance, if for any reason I had needed to postpone the entire race, or a start, then I'd have had an issue because racers could correctly say "The SIs said my start was at 11:25 so I started at 11:25." The NOR (Rule 19 c) only lets the PRO modify the SIs verbally prior to the first warning, so technically we'd be locked into what was printed on the SIs and I'd have no options but to let mayhem ensue.

To respond to Jackie, and mayhem ensuing, if for any reason mayhem should ensue at a start, I may want to let that mayhem clear itself before starting the next division. As currently written, I can, but as previously written, I'd have been locked into a schedule, and the subsequent division would be penalized by having to negotiate the mayhem that wouldn't have been of their own making!

What I said at the Skipper's Meeting was that we intend to start boats as written last year, with Flag C starting at 11:05, D at 11:10, etc., and if for any reason we don't, we will be super clear about what we're doing on the radio (VHF72). In fact, we intend to be super clear about what we're doing even if we follow the plan, because we fully understand that it's hard for one person (sometimes two) to sail a boat in heavy traffic and look for distant undersized flags. Keep your radio tuned to VHF72 and you should know what's going on.

I did poll about 8 racers to get their philosophy on SSS starts, and I also posted a thread asking for people's opinion. Two racers thought the SSS should start races religiously to a schedule, with racers taking whatever conditions they get, and the remainder said they'd prefer to start in wind. As a result, it was decided that if for any reason no boat is able to make way at 11:00, we'll postpone, but we'll only give the wind up to 30 minutes to fill in, and by 11:30 we're going no matter what. This will all be announced on VHF72. Also, any postponement will correspondingly move the time limit, so that if we start at 11:20 rather than 11:00, we'll stretch the cutoff time by that same delay (20 minutes).

I hope this clarifies why this change was made. And yes, I'm also a volunteer trying to do good by all you racers, so please feel free to let me know what I can be doing better.

Jim

Regarding after-race possibilities by SSS Corinthian race participants:
    This from Jim Erskine, member of the Corinthian Yacht Club and singlehander on s/v KIRA:

Everyone is welcome to raft up. Bar is open. Food available until 5pm. We have a “Wine Dinner” Saturday night so no dinner menu available.