Thread: Anyone up for a beer this afternoon?

Default Anyone up for a beer this afternoon?

Hi All,

I'm passing through SF on business but would be really keen to have a chat with anyone who has done or is doing the race this year. I'm over from New Zealand and am really eager to do the race. Unfortunately work commitments mean it wont be this year, but it's probably more realistic to be planning for the next one now anyway.

I race a lightweight 28ft boat in the Auckland single-handed scene. It's a small scene given the popularity of yachting in general, but most of us have been taking it pretty seriously, having a done a lot of short handed sailing, including (for at least half of us) a two-handed round North Island (1500 NM, in close proximity to hard bits). It's hard for us to find ocean races to compete in single handed so the transpac is a really exciting and doable opportunity for us.

I know my baby will fit in a container to make the trip up, and have nearly convinced a couple of others down there. I'd really like the opportunity to talk to you guys/girls about logistics and race prep (particularly hard-stand facilities for us to unpack containers and get keels and rigs back in) as well as the race itself.

Its very short notice but if anyone would be keen to meet for a beer/coffee/rum?? anytime from 1 to say 4 pm today that would be really cool. I have to jump on a plan after that though.

Cheers!

I am working online today, but most people are probably out sailing. There are a number of singlehanders participating in the Berkeley Yacht Club Midwinters today, and they are measuring the start line as I type. My suggestion would be to drive over to the Richmond Yacht Club, where a large number of SSS sailors keep their boats. Not many come back to the Berkeley Yacht Club after Midwinters - they head for the barn over there. Walk the docks at Richmond and you might catch them returning. Look for Ragtime!, Fugu, Stink Eye and Bandicoot. They all berth there.

Thanks thats a great idea, alas it might be a bit tight for my flight. At least now I lnow where to head when I make an excuse to come back for work!

Welcome! If you were to do the race, that might just be the farthest anyone has ever come. Very cool. I have friends in Northland. Where are you?

Give us a heads up next time you're in the area and I'm sure we can get the word out. We sailors are known to enjoy a beer from time to time with fellow sailors. I'm working in Half Moon Bay this weekend so can't meet up either, but planning to do the race for the first time this year. Just finished a massive spreadsheet listing everything that has to be done and some things that would be nice to get done before the big day. It's looking quite doable Glad I don't need to ship the boat and deal with those logistics, too....

Safe travels.

Oh, I don't know...you fellows have a pretty amazing race of your own, down there.

http://www.solo-tasman.co.nz/
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"