Thread: From Race Chair: Race Starting Philosophy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default From Race Chair: Race Starting Philosophy

This post asks SSS members for their opinions on starting SSS races.

Specifically, many past ASIs have listed absolute starting times, as in "The Start for Flag C is 11:05."

This allows no mechanism for the race to be postponed if there is no wind, or if the RC must postpone for any other reason.

To get back to standard practice as defined in the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS), for the Corinthian Race we have issued ASIs that state the first warning is scheduled for 1100, and we do not list start times for each fleet. While the Race Committee still intends to start Flag C at 11:05, this change means that we are no longer obligated to do so. For instance, we could postpone the start if there is no wind, or if there are a lot of boats OCS (over early) at one start we may not roll immediately into the next start in order to give the OCS boats time to start properly without interfering with the start of the next fleet.

Philosophy Question to members: Should the SSS start races on a fixed schedule no matter what? Or should the Race Committee be given discretion to run starts as they feel is best? As examples, some people may prefer to race in wind, hence they would appreciate a postponement in no-wind conditions. Others may feel part of the "charm" of the SSS is having to deal with conditions no matter what they are. How do you feel?

Note that the Race Committee intends to announce starting sequences on VHF since we understand it is hard for shorthanded crew to sail a boat and look for flags. Typical announcements will include which Flag is going into sequence next, or is currently in sequence, and will include countdowns to each fleet's first warning (5 minutes before start) and preparatory signal (4 minutes before start).

I am good with delays when conditions are likely going to improve "soonish," because these can be long, tiring races with in-the-dark commutes back to the barn. Will this also include extending the finish time accordingly? This is usually more of an issue for the early and late races (e.g., Corinthian and Vallejo), but that makes a long day for RC, too....

Dura Mater is a big, heavy boat. Well, heavy for me. We need all the help and time available to cross that finish line. So I agree with Carliane's point about extending the finish when postponing the start. As for postponing at all? I hope that is not something the SSS decides to do. Members of the SSS race with "the boat they got". I think the RC should continue to start races in "the wind we got". Multiplying by five several times? Too hard when doing everything else while waiting to start.

Jim, your post asks how we "FEEL". It's not a matter of how I feel. It's an intellectual imperative.

Every race I sail has a "start time" for divisions. The RC can postpone at any time for any reason, for any length of time, at any time prior to the Starting Gun for a division. When the postponement is lifted, the sequence for getting things underway is in the RRS. The "normal" starting procedure is to "roll" the starts, with the Starting gun for Division 1 being the Warning gun for Division 2 and so on. The CYC uses "Planned Start Time" in its list of starts, for instance. But a RC can announce that it will not be "rolling" starts - for instance if the wind is light and it's difficult for Division 1 boats to clear the line/starting area. There's a great deal of latitude. (However for a reverse start race like the 3-Bdrige, once things get going there's no way to stop it.) My suggestion is to put the "Scheduled Starting Times" in the SIs. See what conditions are on race day and make adjustments accordingly - using the RRS and signals. -- Pat Broderick

Yes, with the exception of the 3 bridge, I would like to see the RC use their discretion of postponement for lack of wind.

What I really desire is a Lemans start with anchors down and sails furled. That would be absolute mayhem and exciting!
    Last edited by Submarino; 02-19-2018 at 03:12 PM.

What they said. Just keep us informed via VHF 'cause we usually can't see the flags.

Maybe no cat-in-the-hat for Vallejo 2 on a building flood.

Jackie, I think we had the same English teacher. And hey, I suggested an Olson 25 but NOOO - you wanted luxury!
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-14-2018 at 12:12 AM.