Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From Race Chair: Race Starting Philosophy

My compliments to RC for the start of the SSS Corinthian Race. The VHF radio calls were clear and made no doubt of what was going on. Please keep up the same work on upcoming races. SDK

Quote Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
    I'm fully aware this violates the RRS, which states boats are racing at your preparatory signal (Start minus four minutes) and anything I give you after that point is outside help, but I do this fully recognizing the SSS is unique, and besides, I'm helping everyone.
    That part. <thumb's up icon would go here>.

If the NOR specifically says that changes to the sailing instructions are allowed only up to 9PM the previous Thursday, and thereafter any change to the SI must be done verbally prior to the first warning, then I don't see how my hands aren't tied.
    Hi Jim -

are you equating postponing a warning signal with changing the sailing instructions? The two are not synonymous. The Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020 rule 27.3 states that the Race Committee may, or any reason, postpone or abandon the race prior to a start - this is not the same thing as changing the Sailing Instructions.

To follow through on the argument that RC can't change anything once it is published in the Additional Sailing Instructions: how do you handle the case of the first class (which has a published warning signal at 11AM)? -is RC stuck with that, they can't change it? If changing the first class' start time is changing the ASI's then following your argument RC can't postpone the first class' warning signal time, start time, or anything else. If that's true, then what has RC gained by figuring out how to have RC postpone everyone else's warning signal but not the first class with a published warning signal time?

Note the SSS ASI's do not specify a start time, but rather a warning signal time. It would not matter either way (published warning or start time), the RC has the prerogative to Postpone or Abandon the race at any time prior to the start (RRS 27.3).

- rob

And as I recall the RC can abandon a race after the start as well. Rule 32.1.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    are you equating postponing a warning signal with changing the sailing instructions?
    No, I'm equating "Flag C, Multihulls, Start Time 11:05" and then starting at some other time with changing the SIs. Show me another SI that specifies start times. I'd be happy with "Scheduled Start Time."

Regarding your other point, it was pointed out to me by a US Sailing National Race Officer that I might want to change the wording from "The first warning will be at" to "the first warning is scheduled for..." I will, and I think that addresses your second point. When I wrote that, I was thinking the AP is a warning signal, and it may be (I can't really tell from reading the RRS). It is certainly a signal. And being a physicist, who deals in "virtual" quantum states, I might argue that at 11:00 I could hoist flag C, hoist the AP, and drop C, all in an instant, which makes the AP an acceptable flag to fly at the first warning, if it wasn't already! OK, now I'm off the rails.

Summary: I see your point. I see my point. I get paid $0 to do this job. Most people just want to sail. I'm going to change the wording to add scheduled to make the NRO happy, and I hope all are happy. Anything further will have to be settled by some rules official!

Jim.

...And being a physicist, who deals in...quantum states, I might argue that at 11:00 I could hoist flag C, hoist the AP, and drop C, all in an instant, which makes the AP an acceptable flag to fly at the first warning, if it wasn't already!..
    Well now, I wondered what was up. Them thar quantum flags were tryin' to get themselves all entangled. But everytime I looked at them they weren't.