In a discussion of many comm/weather/routing issues on the “interested in a boat” thread, PJ mentions possibly getting GPS & AIS data to a lap top via an NMEA 0183-to-Wifi bridge such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273055846081?ul_noapp=true

I am taking the liberty of starting this thread to focus on this one idea. At present on Morning Star, NMEA data from the GPS and AIS go through separate serial-to-USB converter cables to reach Open CPN via comm ports. This device would take the raw NMEA data and transmit it as a Wifi hot spot that the lap top logs into. Open CPN would then be configured to receive both data streams via a network port rather than separate comm ports. Seems pretty simple, and would not appear to be a difficult or expensive conversion.

Even though my present setup seems stable and reliable, this is a tempting alternative to consider. If the lap top dies mid-ocean, I could still make use of the GPS and AIS data via Navionics on my Android. That would alleviate the need to carry a second lap top for back up, and avoid the near-inevitable configuration issues that would entail. And, of course, two less wires on the nav station would be nice.

Has anyone used such a set up? Anyone want to venture thoughts on pros and cons of making the conversion?