Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Hi Philippe -

Richmond Municpal Marina has the depth for a Class 40, though it's on the other side of the planet from Redwood City.

I would think long and hard about reasons for NOT keeping the boat in Pillar Point Harbor - lots of depth outside (you're in the Pacific Ocean), all kinds of directions you can sail to test equipment in the intended environment (offshore), berthing rates are 1/3 - 1/2 of what it costs in the bay, and it's a half hour drive from Redwood City.

If you would like something a bit warmer, I can attest that Channel Islands Harbor down south in Oxnard has 18' at low tide at the slips closest to the marina entry - don't run too far towards the middle of the marina Drive is a tad longer.

- rob/beetle
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 12-09-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: edification, fix typos

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    I would think long and hard about reasons for NOT keeping the boat in Pillar Point Harbor - lots of depth outside (you're in the Pacific Ocean), all kinds of directions you can sail to test equipment in the intended environment (offshore), berthing rates are 1/3 - 1/2 of what it costs in the bay, and it's a half hour drive from Redwood City.
    - rob/beetle
    I agree ... I would like to scout for depth though. The boat can't rest on the keel should negative tides be too much. I had checked with a few folks and the general response is that it should be ok.
    Is someone over there?

On a side note I knew grib files were "nothing more" than forecast model outputs and that extremes were smoothed out but, when considering hurricanes, it's worse: they don't even show up. On the screenshot below there's now a tropical cyclone (Belna). Note: it's not just PredictWind. Check windy.com for example. Or GFS ...

Name:  Screenshot_20191209-201826~2.png
Views: 782
Size:  565.4 KB

[QUOTE=jamottep;24937]I agree ... I would like to scout for depth though. The boat can't rest on the keel should negative tides be too much. I had checked with a few folks and the general response is that it should be ok.
    Is someone over there?

On a side note I knew grib files were "nothing more" than forecast model outputs and that extremes were smoothed out but, when considering hurricanes, it's worse: they don't even show up. On the screenshot below there's now a tropical cyclone (Belna). Note: it's not just PredictWind. Check windy.com for example. Or GFS ...

This is indeed an issue with computer-generated no-humans-involved forecasts. The issue is compounded when you're sailing into areas that you don't know and for which you aren't famiiar with the available weather forecasts. As an example, I spent more than a few days trying to figure out how to best to obtain weather forecasts for French Polynesia.

There does exist the Worldwide Marine Weatherfax Radiofacsimile Broadcast Schedules - I have a current copy on Beetle.
    https://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

In this schedule is the list of broadcasts for the South Africa NAVAL (South Africa Navy?), and it will include this image...

Name:  synoptic-chart-weather-south-africa.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  1.06 MB

Note that Belna is mentioned right off Madagascar.

A suggestion - you might check with Skip and Stan as regards good weather sources for your planned route, and then figure to put a fair bit of energy into figuring out how you might best obtain that data and how to interpret it.

- rob/beetle
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 12-09-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: remove repeat of model image

[QUOTE=tiger beetle;24938]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    There does exist the Worldwide Marine Weatherfax Radiofacsimile Broadcast Schedules - I have a current copy on Beetle.
    https://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf
    - rob/beetle
    The boat will come with this receiver: https://www.sangean.com/products/pro...?mid=75&cid=16
    I plan to try this as a backup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1QyDVgclto
    Not sure how I'll handle the antenna conundrum ... So many things to sort out :-)

End tie at most any marina in the Estuary are deep enough.

Yesterday in the Redwood City Costco I was accosted by a tall guy with a bit of an accent. He had noticed my SH Farallones sweatshirt, and it was Philippe! Good to finally meet you.

I didn't think to ask you about the boat search that I've been following here off and on, but I'm caught up now. Sounds like it's happening - congratulations!

Greetings to all. I'm heading back south in a couple of days, hoping to make a few more PSSA races this season.

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 12-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Yesterday in the Redwood City Costco I was accosted by a tall guy with a bit of an accent. He had noticed my SH Farallones sweatshirt, and it was Philippe! Good to finally meet you.
    Max
    I walked by and noticed the sweatshirt and told my wife: "Hey there's another single-hander there, should I say hello?". And the rest is history :-)
    Good to meet you too, Max.

Oh well, not to be. The guy just called me saying he is bailing out. Two more days lost ...

Oh well, not to be. The guy just called me saying he is bailing out. Two more days lost ...
    Are shipping deposits at risk if the boat does make it to port in time?