Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    . . .some of us would like to see you off.
    For the traditional throwing of the ginger candy.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Oct 18th is the scheduled Vallejo 2. Not that means anything these days but some of us would like to see you off.
    Thanks for letting me know. It's not set in stone ...

A rainfall of ginger candies as I pass under the bridge? Sounds interesting :-)

Asking for help ...

I need help with the ballast system. It's a very important piece of the sailing puzzle on Changabang. But because it has a leak I am always reluctant to use it. If you have time and experience with ballast plumbing or similar I'd love to get acquainted. The leaks are with the pipes not the ballast itself. So I think it's a matter of ripping all short hoses and replacing, also replacing the pump. I am not at all familiar with this, and I'd rather get it right the first time. No point in fixing to make it worse. The picture below shows what I'm talking about. I believe the valves are sound. The pump is hidden to the right. I've already tried tightening the hose clamps :-)
    PJ

Name:  IMG_20190821_111851356.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  3.13 MB
    Last edited by jamottep; 07-25-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Hi Philippe,

Not sure where to start with this...all the goop on the joints says the previous owner was wrestling with leaks also. That string is not a good sign...Yes, replace all the hoses and hose clamps with high quality Shields Series 148 and ABA hose clamps. As a rule, any hose below the waterline gets 2 hose clamps. Get a hose clamp spares kit with the correct size flexible driver if you can find one as you may need to replace or double up other hose connections and if you need to install a desalinator. Regarding the valves, plastic does get brittle over time, and new valves are fairly cheap. But you may want to revisit the design (see below).

Is this the only scoop/dump valve?

Only one Pump? Replace with the Rule 17A, you can find new for $200. Make sure the switch you use can handle the 20 amps. Note the pump may cause a voltage drop through your electrical system which can cause problems with electronics and autopilots.

Hard to tell the logic of the plumbing from the photo, and hard to believe it was originally designed like this. You might want to revisit the existing design, there is a shit-ton of flow resistance both in and out. Some thoughts/questions...I'd guess that red lever opens or closes the line from the scoop to the pump? If so does it need to be there? The other line to the scoop is the dump path? If so there appears to be another valve or elbow here? Necessary? I would diagram the as-is condition and perhaps design a new one. Too bad about the wiring running through there.

Thanks for looking at this Ragnar.
    The valve with the black lever has 3 positions: fill port ballast, fill starboard, closed. The valve with the red lever is to allow gravity fed discharge. There's also another valve to allow gravity fed transfer from one side to the other. I'm not keen to engage in ripping things out less so redesigning the system on my own, hence my call for help ...
    There are some tight turns, which at first glance appear to be too much for the Shields Series 148.
    With the scoop pulled in, red and black closed, I think the only water leaking out is whatever is in the pipes visible in the picture. I'll have to verify this next time I use them (it seemed to be so when I tried this last week as there wasn't much to bail out).
    Hope this helps put things in context ...

I know nothing about these systems, but have two thoughts... 1.) go sailing, engage autopilot, or friend, go lie down on the cabin sole right next to all that stuff and turn on the pump. Watch closely and see if you can actually see the leak. Ditto for the gravity transfer when you tack or gybe.

2.) the obvious place to start is where the off-white sealant is gooped around.

I see what you mean, about that one hard turn in the hose. Hoses harden over time, I'd be suspicious about that bend. Also the red-handled valve is just PVC. Something to replace it is probably < $30 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEGEND-V...-601/203581036

Name:  legend-valve-ball-valves-s-601-64_1000.jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-27-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

It's official! I've been awarded a grant by the Ocean Cruising Club! It is very exciting for my crazy sailing project to be recognized by like minded sailors and adventurers. I'm in excellent company with the two other award recipients. I'd like to give my thanks to the kind folks at the Ocean Cruising Club for their generosity, and to Figure 8 Voyage, Randall Reeves for tipping me to this fantastic opportunity, and to all who have encouraged me along this journey.

News release by the OCC https://news.oceancruisingclub.org/home/index/1372

I'll say ... If you feel like joining in the giving spirit there's an option for you ��

https://GoFundMe.com/SF2SF

Last edited by jamottep; 08-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Quick note to say that I'm still on track to leave early October (there are still a few pending items). Latest updates here as usual: https://pjsails.com/a-blog-about-sai...und-the-world/

Great hat! LOL...... and the back of your wagon looks like mine did, all last week...full of stuff.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"