Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    NICE drone footage!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The heavy blanket of fog under the Golden Gate cleared shortly before 1 pm and our intrepid solo sailor, Philippe Jamotte, aka "PJ", aboard his CHANGABANG, passed under the Golden Gate at 1:15 pm, outbound westabout around the World, non-stop.

CaB was well heeled, making 8 knots closehauled on port tack. PJ's first challenge is to reach the synoptic NW wind, 12-15 knots, out past the Farallones, then hi-tail it south, southwest, to hopefully pass ahead of Hurricane Marie in 6 days time. This route, if successful, could well slingshot him on towards his Equator crossing 3 weeks hence.

We wish PJ fair winds and fast sailing. Au revoir et bonne chance, mon ami!
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-30-2020 at 05:43 PM.

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...1268#post21268

Best wishes to a determined sailor!

Thank you all for your help and inspiration.

In the vernacular, CHANGABANG is "launched." Under 4 hours from Golden Gate Bridge to abeam the Farallones, PJ is past shipping convergence and has borne off 15 degrees. Now averaging 10 knots, with whales nearby and a near full moon rise soon, this could be an exceptional first night.

Stan Honey "officiated" the launch, timing the start of the record attempt as "30 sept 2020 20:15:02 utc."

PS: Would be remiss not to mention there is another solo-skipper record attempt just 20 miles ahead and south of CHANGABANG. The 9' CHUBBY GIRL is attempting to become the smallest boat to cross to Hawaii. The current record is the 10 foot YANKEE GIRL in 1981. Both CHUBBY and YANKEE are shorter than my new, 11 foot, 23 pound, Costco inflatable SUP board.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-30-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Wow....scootin' along right quick!!

PJ ran a respectable 226 miles in his first 24 hours, 9.4 knots, under plain sail in winds 15-20. He's nearing the western edge of Windy Lane, north/south along 127 west longitude, beyond which there is much reduced breeze and risk of sailing off the edge if you are to believe weather models. Already his breeze is down to 14 knots, AWA at 90 degrees. PJ reports not sleeping much and feeling light seasickness, so may consider spinnaker later rather than sooner as he catches up on some shuteye.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-01-2020 at 01:58 PM.

This is fun to watch and I wish PJ the best voyage!

I worry about Chubby Girl and the hurricane; Changabang is a big fast boat and should be able to sail through whatever weather she can't sail around, but C. Girl is neither big nor fast.

Quote Originally Posted by breezetrees View Post
    I worry about Chubby Girl and the hurricane
    Except for some big swells from the south, I don't think CHUBBY, making about 25 miles/day, has much to worry about regards Hurricane Marie, currently 1,300 miles south, moving west,northwest at 15 knots, and forecast to begin dissipation in 4-5 days when 900 miles southwest of CHUBBY.

Meanwhile aboard CHANGABANG, PJ wrote at 9 pm "I was about to try a masthead code 0 when I noticed the wind coming abaft the beam once in a while. It was not straightforward but the new small spinnaker is up. The autopilot didn't seem happy at first so I hand steered. Saw top speed at 13.5. We are fast at 140 TWA. So I tighten the sheet and overtrimmed for the night. Also set the AP to true wind mode on 150 TWA. Seems fine but a little slower. The spinny appears stable. Once in a while the sheet does a bit of "soft bang". About 16 kts tws. COG is still fairly high at 220 and some. Going to have dinner now :-)"

He's makin' tracks. The concept of 220 mile days kinda blows me away. When he comes back I hope he takes Chanagabang on the next SHTP....records might fall. I mean...two days and he's almost 500 miles along the track on a course not all that different from a SHTP course.