Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

The hydro generators look purposeful and well crafted.

My out of date mind was thinking of a gadget like the old fashion taftrail log with its trailing impeller. Just waiting for a shark to sample the impeller and spoil the system. Certainly 'out of touch', but learning.

As long as the boat is moving energy should be generated. Clouds be damned....

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Looks like a good investment.

Can you use both DDW?
    DDW, dead down wind? The short answer is: yes, Watt & Sea confirmed that both systems can charge the batteries at the same time. This would only make sense if I'm really slow, and the biggest propeller on one hydrogenerator is not enough. Randall Reeves really liked his (we met when I was in Richmond and I gave him a quick tour; well, he also have me one of his spare prop :-)

But then I really should never be DDW in this boat ...

In addition to the two systems on the boat, I also have a spare generator, 3 solar panels (with 3 charge controllers), and the engine/alternator combo. I hope that'll be enough.

I've been wondering if a small rudder could fit in lieu of the hydrogenerator, should I lose one rudder. The brackets are 3/8" aluminium ...

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The hydro generators look purposeful and well crafted.
    Ants
    Lots of them in the Vendée Globe and offshore races ... I think they've been improving the design and fabrication regularly. Bill Hatfield had one too, although it's unclear how old it was when it failed. They should be serviced every 10,000 miles ... Not gonna be possible ...

Hey, let's slip a contest into here!! Even PJ can enter.

The contest - name the two books and the authors. The two books have been sitting on my shelf next to each other.

The first person to correctly identify both books by title and author will have both books mailed to them.

Since Google and other search engines are pervasive, the clues will be less specific.

The Clues-

The Titles are essentially the same - only the order of the words is different.
    Each author listed has ten letters in their name.
    Both books were published in the 70's.
    One author is female and one is male.
    One author is from Southern Hemisphere while other is from Northern Hemisphere.
    The books are surprisingly similar in length - 192 and 209 pages.
    One author is alive and the other has died.
    The time difference between the two events exceeded 100 days.

Good luck.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Hey, let's slip a contest into here!! Even PJ can enter.

The contest - name the two books and the authors. The two books have been sitting on my shelf next to each other.

The first person to correctly identify both books by title and author will have both books mailed to them.

Since Google and other search engines are pervasive, the clues will be less specific.

The Clues-

The Titles are essentially the same - only the order of the words is different.
    Each author listed has ten letters in their name.
    Both books were published in the 70's.
    One author is female and one is male.
    One author is from Southern Hemisphere while other is from Northern Hemisphere.
    The books are surprisingly similar in length - 192 and 209 pages.
    One author is alive and the other has died.
    The time difference between the two events exceeded 100 days.Good luck.
    Ants
    Hi Ants, If correct, I wish to donate the books to anyone who who would like either or both:

Name:  Alone 2.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  3.6 KB

Name:  alone.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  117.1 KB

Yes! We have a winner - sleddog!
    (There is a lot of knowledge available from the forum participants).

Per sleddog's request, the books will be sent to the first person that provides a mailing address by PM. Let us know in a post that the books are off to a new home.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  2.45 MB

PM sent. In fact if anyone has a Kindle or else with books/movies/music ... I am sure I'd make good use of it out there :-)

That completes that contest.

Stay tuned to your favorite forum - I am sure more contests will appear.

Ants

Quick updates: haul out scheduled for mid August; start/finish line confirmed with WSSRC to be "sail under GG Bridge"; got a few used sails from Buzz; applied for a grant with the Ocean Cruising Club (as suggested by Randall Reeves); have been trying to get a second shakedown cruise under my belt but been waiting for the westerlies to re-establish themselves; start day may be Sunday 10/18 around noon, leaving from South Beach Harbor (unless I get an offer); still about 1-2 kts below polars; a second Watt & Ses hydrogenerator had to be shipped to France, pending diagnosis (the first one was because of concern about shipping damages); have re-arranged the cabin. I think that's the essential stuff ...

Still need a backup Iridium GO!,.to figure out my water reservoir plan, and to order food ...

Oct 18th is the scheduled Vallejo 2. Not that means anything these days but some of us would like to see you off.