Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

I'm totally with the notion of a better-performing boat for this venture. If I could have afforded the divorce, I even considered a tradewinds circumnavigation on Ragtime! Hells bells, a Moore 24 is doing it! But like Two Guys (Cochise), Ragtime! was a very open, exposed boat to sail. I don't know how Webb does it on the Moore. That dude is special.

The 1D35 has a big-roach main (lots of roach up high) so that's why no backstay. I'm sure you could get a normal (pinhead) main but it would affect the performance somewhat.

On another point, the blue and silver 1D35 at RYC has some big cracks in the deck. That was a problem with these (Carroll Marine) boats.

Of all the boats PJ has considered, this ID35 may tick more boxes than most. The mast, rigging, steering, rudder, sails, and engine are pretty much ready to go. The boat is as fast or faster on most points than an Express 37. Exposure and lack of headroom can partly be mitigated with hard dodger. Nor is a simple water ballast system out of the question. If it matters, the boat is trailable. For $80K or less, he could be on the course....

However, what DaveH says below cannot be lightly dismissed. Bottom paint up to the rail, and extra underwear would likely be in order. "Reef early, reef often" would be the mantra.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Might want to query David Garman... He sailed GIANT SLAYER (SC27) in the 2016 SHTP and is currently sailing a 1D35 SUCH FAST in the PNW... he had ambitions to go do the Caribbean circuit with a pay-to-play crew on the 1D, sailing between stops with some long passages. IF that actually happened (or is happening) he'd be the one who'd know most about it.

That being said, some several year back I did 3 years off and on crewing on a mostly well sorted 1D35.
    It wouldn't be near the top of my list for this type of stuff.
    Mostly for the reasons already noted (Volume/ carrying capacity, build quality, and lack of upwind leverage), but more significantly this; In my experience, the off the wind performance, while exciting and spirited as one might expect for the SA/D, is also frequently of the brown pants variety.
    That big roachy main is very difficult to de-power forward of about 145 AWD and it requires a pretty large amount of attention to keep the mast vertical above 17 knots TWS. As in a drilled crew that is on their toes.
    It has some to do with the kite handling... but mostly is about the main overpowering the rudder and being very pro-active on the vang and anticipating the ease before you need it.
    Bottom line is I'm dubious of an AP keeping ahead of things off the wind, particularly in a seaway.

just my .02.
    Ask Garman. He will likely have a more refined take on it.

and one asterisk... my experience is limited to 1D35's with the original symmetrical kite set up. adding a sprit and an large asym may help balance the sailplan off the wind

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Stan Glaros has been sailing his ID35 "Zsa Zsa" in local ocean races for years. Might check with him? With no direct experience with the boat other than observing it in numerous OYRA/SSS/BAMA. races, I'd tend to pretty much agree with Dave H. (notice how much I've hedged my evaluation?)

Pat

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit I mentioned this boat half jokingly. It is hitting a lot of good points indeed. I'm not sure the construction will last for the duration of the trip, and indeed it does seem like the mast is not much strong and fragile.

I think there are two key sailing characteristics for the boat I'm looking for:
    1. Not slow in light air astern;
    2. Can sail somewhat efficiently to windward in a gale on the open sea.

I do want to point out that I'm not racing. Most often the boat will be underpowered; I may be flying twin jibs, or pole out the jibs. The reason for a fast boat is that even depowered I would still be faster than a slower/heavier/cruising like boat (the likes of the Valiant 40).

I think I owe myself to talk to the owner of a 1D35, if someone has contacts, pls PM me.

I would be nervous taking an ID35 to Hawaii or just down the coast. Very much the wrong boat, it has a hard time keeping upright with a full crew let alone on autopilot solo.
    Last edited by solosailor; 03-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The first one is sold already (I checked with the broker).

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I would be nervous taking an ID35 to Hawaii or just down the coast. Very much the wrong boat, it has a hard time keeping upright with a full crew let alone on autopilot solo.
    PJ says:
    I think there are two key sailing characteristics for the boat I'm looking for:
    1. Not slow in light air astern;
    2. Can sail somewhat efficiently to windward in a gale on the open sea.

From what we have read here, a consensus would add
    3) "bombproof" (unquestioned) construction
    4) size range 39-40 feet.
    5) affordable
    6) not needing huge amount of retrofitting.
    7) able to be self-steered in most, if not all, conditions

As for #2 above, sailing to windward in a gale in the open sea, it should be remembered gale force is 34 knots of true wind and above. That's pretty extreme, especially for lighter weight designs with no weight on the windward rail. And very little momentum. Throw in a modern, high aspect ratio keel, and once the keel stalls, at about 3 knots of boat speed, such designs make very rapid leeway, and can rapidly spin, rendering an AP useless. As well, in such conditions, sail area would be much reduced, and if there was any jib in the foretriangle, it would be causing leeward helm, also not conducive to AP control.

Solosailor and others could likely speak to good and bad design and sail combination characteristics of sailing to windward in small boats in gale force. In such conditions, a Freya 39 would be making 5 knots up the wind, and an ID35 would be going mostly sideways at 3 knots.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-03-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    The first one is sold already (I checked with the broker).
    I raced on X Dream. Very tall rig and quite tender. Probably an OK build though.