Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

I'm getting Philippe's updates. for those who aren't... Some tough things have happened. While becalmed in the doldrums, Philippe discovered a growing crack in his boom.

He's fixed some troublesome issues with his autopilots, but the primary autopilot continues to lock the tiller down even when it's supposedly disengaged.

And when finally getting wind, it blew up to 30 knots fairly quickly, and while all his three spinnakers were fastened down on deck, two of them washed overboard. The only one left is his "big" spinnaker, which has already been shredded and repaired once, and then shredded again.

Not good developments for Philippe.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

He is wisely heading back to the barn. Chalk it up as an instructive shakedown.

Philippe, I have access to a 16-18 foot long section of Hobie catamaran mast. I don't have the extrusions for the ends, and some of the rivets that are in the section will need to be cut out. It could be turned into a backup boom for CB, probably. You can have it, if you want it.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Welcome home, PJ!

5443 miles, 35 days, 9 hours. Best day's run 230 miles.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-04-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Welcome home, PJ!

5443 miles, 35 days, 9 hours. Best day's run 230 miles.
    Thank you ... it was quite the shakedown cruise. Not the original plan, but a good outcome nonetheless. Trying to get things back under control ... Lots of work!

Thanks for all your words of encouragement throughout the voyage!

Hi PJ,
    Many are glad you're back in and we are eager to hear more about your voyage with pics if you have.

JB

I'm looking for gainful employment in my field (SaaS professional services management/solution architect/PM)... But in the meantime if anybody needs a boat delivered ... I'm interested as I need to refurbish the cruising kitty :-)

An excellent repair on CaB's boom at Buzz Ballenger's. Buzz is no longer in the repair business, but........
    The rivets are solid stainless steel, much stronger than hollow ones. $2 each.
    The patch had to be external as the sidewall of the boom was collapsed and an internal sleeve could not be fitted. With the external patch, the rivets pulled the collapsed section back out and into alignment. Thank you to Buzz and Evan.

Name:  PJ's boom repair.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  335.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-25-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Wow. The incomparable value of being in the SSS network.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    An excellent repair on CaB's boom at Buzz Ballenger's. Buzz is no longer in the repair business, but........
    The rivets are solid stainless steel, much stronger than hollow ones. $2 each.
    The patch had to be external as the sidewall of the boom was collapsed and an internal sleeve could not be fitted. With the external patch, the rivets pulled the collapsed section back out and into alignment. Thank you to Buzz and Evan.

Name:  PJ's boom repair.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  335.4 KB
    That is impressive work by Buzz!!

My curiosity has been tweaked. From what I can search, solid rivets require access to both sides of the material. One option offered my McMaster Carr was hex rivets that work from the outside. The hex rivets are a variation of a drywall hanger, but listed as the strongest of the solid rivet alternatives. But, the boom doesn't look like those were used unless the heads were ground off.

Maybe Buzz has some specialized backing system that fits into a long extrusion.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PJ got good value in that repair!

Ants