Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Isn't Whitall Stokes leaving soon for his RTW? His plan was to leave in November 2019. What's up, Ragnar? We'll want to follow you.
    Go/No go decision for this year is no go due to family reasons. I need things settled down on the home front before I can go with a clear head. But Nov. 2020 for sure. Didn’t want to be down there as the VG boats blow by, but no choice.

Boat prep is winding down, but much testing and details remain. Big headache was the emergency rudder (Sparrow is single rudder), but that is done.

Oh, and waiting on Pelagic for the heavy duty drive controller.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back from France where I saw two Class40 boats. Status report:
    https://pjsails.com/back-from-france/

Should you stop if you have a hull breach?
    https://www.nautinov.com/en
    I wonder how this would work in real life.
    No moon night, blowing 45 kts, skipper asleep and unfortunately injured in his right hand, bang! Water ingress ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Should you stop if you have a hull breach?
    https://www.nautinov.com/en
    I wonder how this would work in real life.
    No moon night, blowing 45 kts, skipper asleep and unfortunately injured in his right hand, bang! Water ingress ...
    The first thing you need in case of hull faillure is a way to dismantle the internal furniture to actually get to the hull. A PSSA friend had this happen to him on the way back from Anacapa Island as he singlehanded through the night to Santa Barbara: he hit something and water was coming into the boat in a hurry, somewhere in the head compartment. He carried a small fire axe and he told me it took him less than a minute to dismantle the entire head interior with that axe - and sure enough he had a 6 inch crack in the hull that was spurting in water every time the hull flexed as he bounced along under sail. [he and the boat were fine, the USCG sent over a boat with a big pump and some people to help, he had a masthead strobe light they asked him to turn on and that light made it easy for them to find him]

The issue I see with a plastic bag pressed against the hole is the jagged edges of the hole cutting the bag. The concept is good, the video presentation is a perfect case of smooth hole where you can get to it conveniently and it's not under pressure when the boat is heeled enough. Imagine trying to do that with a fire hose of pressure coming into the boat from a hole below the waterline - completely different situation. I'd rather see something built like an inflatable dinghy, significantly heavier fabric that might survive some abrasion.

But you might want some way to dismantle the boat's interior real fast to find the hole... I carry a wrecking hammer for that purpose.

- rob/beetle

That's why I want a boat with no furniture. I like to see the "walls" ...
    I'm not related to the Air Bob folks but they do say that the balloon can withstand composite shards ...

I wondered about sharp edges, too. When I punched a hole at the waterline in the bow of my Tuna, one of the crew cut his hand rather badly on one of the sharp edges as he stuffed things through the hole (I watched several towels go floating by as I frantically steered for home.. We finally found enough stuff to stuff in and made it back to Sausalito and the lift. Those 5-gallon buckets OYRA and SSS required came in handy on the way from the Old Circle to Sausalito. Treating the cut with the boat's first aid kit resulted in a better first aid kit. Gordie repaired the hole and that old boat is probably the only Santana 22 with quite a bit of carbon fiber in it. I forgot to report the "fix" but I wonder if the Santana 22 Class Rules would have allowed it. If it every t-bones another Tuna I think it will come out the victor.

As I watched the video I wondered about a mat, flexible but made out of sturdy material to fit around the strap holding the batten against the outside of the hold. A circular piece with a slit cut into the middle with the ballon pressing down on it rather than the hull. Then I thought of all the other sharp corners that exist around the inside of the hull. Thru hull fittings, etc. And how most boats interiors are designed by the same engineers that used to design the behind-the-dashboard wiring in a car -- if you ever had to replace a lamp illuminating the speedo for instance. Just tracing the wiring in most boats it like an old fashioned snipe hunt. Maybe a fireman's axe should be added to the OYRA Safety List?

I think the concept is worth thinking about though.

Two choices. An older Class40 and an Open 40. Red cedar strip planking vs carbon. Assume same price, similar equipment, which would you prefer?
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...lc-40-3556454/
    First boat here: https://anasazi-ltda.com/marine-brokerage-1

I recall Anasazi Girl lost her mast and suffered other damage in the Southern Ocean, but that was several years ago and I assume all has been restored.

I also believe several children were conceived aboard, so there's that going for it. Otherwise, no idea.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-29-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I recall Anasazi Girl lost her mast and suffered other damage in the Southern Ocean, but that was several years ago and I assume all has been restored.
    Correct, I think a Ballenger alloy mast was shipped over. It's shorter at 50 feet, still a (s)wing mast, now dressed with a Class40 square sail cut below the first reef. Supposedly that made the boat faster ...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I also believe several children were conceived aboard, so there's that going for it. Otherwise, no idea.
    The thought of ... no no no ...

Uh oh! This on the website today: "Unfortunately, this boat is not available for sale. It will be removed from the website soon." They're going like hotcakes! I liked the pink one.