Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

I could I suppose, but Romance. Rounding a natural, significant island rather than a buoy. Why do it at all, if not for romance?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Rule:
    A vessel starting from any point where the direct orthodromic distance is too short shall pass one single island or other fixed point on a required side so as to lengthen his orthodromic track to the minimum distance. Why not round one of the windward buoy instead?
    No cigar, PJ. There are no government maintained buoys on the north or east coasts of the Big Island of Hawaii (unless one sails into Hilo Bay.) When rounding the Big Island, avoiding the lee of the volcanoes is not an impossibility. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    No cigar, PJ. There are no government maintained buoys on the north or east coasts of the Big Island of Hawaii (unless one sails into Hilo Bay.) When rounding the Big Island, avoiding the lee of the volcanoes is not an impossibility. Been there, done that.
    Yes ... was thinking of the one in Hilo Bay :-)

For those interested here's Guo Chan's route: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5G...ew?usp=sharing

Sometimes the link works sometimes it doesn't; recommend downloading ...

I can't measure this route to meet the WSSRC requirements ... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I can't measure this route to meet the WSSRC requirements ... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    I have spoken to Guo's router. The way they managed to get the distance is by going around a buoy off Argentina. Really smart move! Although I haven't re-calculated ..

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    For now I think I'll stay away from Class40 boats. They're great but ... From my conversation with a French owner of two (Marc Lepesqueux) they are very capable boats but not considered circumnavigators. Several modifications are required. I do know Joe Harris sailed RTW, and others have tried. The key concern is that in a capsize they would stay inverted. Some boat designs would require changes. Please don't go quoting this on other forums. This is just this man's interpretation, a man of limited knowledge and experience.

Saturday I fly to France for six days of sailing on a Pogo 40S3. The weather looks promising, unlike what the RdR skippers are suffering through.

I've continued my research. At this time I'm considering going RTW West. My very optimistic, cheap-O budget is around 200k, and a realistic one is more like 300k+.

This project is putting enormous stress on the marriage, to the point of breakage. There's nobody around us who is supportive. I don't care so much; my wife on the other hand ... From what I read this is not uncommon. Some dreams are too big.

If anyone has a contact for sponsors, however partial, please let me know. I've managed to fund my project to about 30%; I'm hoping to sell a tiny piece of real estate to bring that up to 60% or more, enough to acquire a boat, have a thorough inspection, and get it over here.

I cannot stop myself from observing that I'm still very much an amateur, when compared to the sailors of high caliber such as J-L VDH, who still got trashed on his leg home. The big unknown remains big seas; I have yet to see and experience that. I had hoped that sailing on Skip Novak's boats would have helped but not so.

Maybe in two weeks I'll come back recharged or demolished ...

Fair winds, Philippe! Send us photos and updates. We read everything and you are my favorite Belgian. Regards to Jo. Yes, you are nuts, but you are our nut.

Have a great time!!
    We look forward to a report!
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

The key concern is that in a capsize they would stay inverted.
    I have never heard of this being a concern on C40s. There was an around the world race on Class 40s already, the Global Ocean Race. You can buy an older Class 40 (great boats but not competitive agains the latest generation = not a concern of yours) for $100-125k. You should be able to do the voyage for well under $200k with a fully revamped boat or even much less.