Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    PJ listed on his Forum post #473 his sail inventory, including 4 free flying headsails (spinnakers).

4 xFree flying headsails:

1. Code 0 on 2:1 halyard with continuous furler; 2009. Looked ok when I used it although I didn't look at it much as I had other things on my mind!
    2. Gennaker same as above. 2007.
    3. Masthead spinnaker; 2017; with sock.
    4. Fractional spinnaker; 2007; supposedly reefable; with sock.
    That's correct, although I now must correct point 4. The heavy is also a masthead spinnaker, even reefed.

Hi Jackie ... if thing get tangled up ... I just received a mastclimber from ATN to go up the mast if I must ... but I hope that won't be the case. There's always the option to letterbox drop the spinnaker, sock and all. The letterdrop box usually means pulling the spinnaker between the mainsail and the boom, but with the lazyjacks, I don't think that would work, so it'll have to go under the boom. Then usually one pushes the spinnaker in the cabin and here as well I'm not sure how that's going to work. Improvisation ...

I can't wait to apply my experience and try again!

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Improvisation ... I can't wait to apply my experience and try again!
    Well, I enjoyed the video and the spinnaker is a pretty color. Lots of patches, eh? This is probably not a good time to ask even a big international sailmaker for a sponsor-sail. Too bad. Remind us of the size spinnaker needed? You know the SSS. Someone may be feeling generous, ordered a new spinnaker for their old boat, not wanting to overload the shed ... I'd loan you my $120 spinnaker, but it's itty bitty and patched already. Plus I've been using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Well, I enjoyed the video and the spinnaker is a pretty color. Lots of patches, eh? This is probably not a good time to ask even a big international sailmaker for a sponsor-sail. Too bad. Remind us of the size spinnaker needed? You know the SSS. Someone may be feeling generous, ordered a new spinnaker for their old boat, not wanting to overload the shed ... I'd loan you my $120 spinnaker, but it's itty bitty and patched already. Plus I've been using it.
    Ah, yeah, with only two spinnakers, I'm sure to finish with none! I wouldn't mind a few spares :-)

I don't have measurements for these sails. The mast is about 55 feet tall. If anyone has something in that range I'd be interested. For now, new or used sails are not on the must buy list (yet), realizing that I've already spent $145k ...

Ah, yeah, with only two spinnakers, I'm sure to finish with none! I wouldn't mind a few spares :-)

I don't have measurements for these sails. The mast is about 55 feet tall. If anyone has something in that range I'd be interested. For now, new or used sails are not on the must buy list (yet), realizing that I've already spent $145k ...
    Oh, yeah. I hate it when I spend that much.

First picture: correct, I did lead the sheets not so the right way, on both sides! I only discovered when I was already flying the spinnaker, but was able to fix when it came down the first time. I don't think I damaged the sheets ...

The second picture: correct, a couple days before I had neatly tucked the sock's halyard. When I hoisted the sock, I forgot to uncoil the sock's halyard. And so I had a sock but no halyard :-)

The third picture: you're close. It's really hard to spot. The spinnaker head is passing in between the bag and a line that secures the top of the bag. In other words, if I had not spotted that one, the bag would have gone up with the spinnaker :-)
    Name:  settle down 001.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  284.5 KB

When I was in need of mast climbing gear for the 2018 SHTP, I made a stupid decision to buy lots of line and a 5:1 purchase block and tackle system. I'd hoist my own weight by pulling hard. I can't image doing this with a 60 feet mast. So, this time around, I decided to splurge and bought ATN, Inc.'s mast climber:

https://www.atninc.com/atn-mastclimb...quipment.shtml

I used it today and I'm glad I bought this. The quality of the system appears very good, and it was easy to go up the mast just reading the instructions (Ok, I had an advantage that I could read the instructions in both English and French).

Strongly recommend ...

I can’t really see much difference between your two different video cameras. Can you tape yourself crawling around figuring out the water ballast, please? And another thing I’m wondering: I think you are a smart and thoughtful guy and I think Bob is a smart and thoughtful guy. Why have you decided to go with a hydrogenerator while Bob has decided to go with solar panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I can’t really see much difference between your two different video cameras. Can you tape yourself crawling around figuring out the water ballast, please? And another thing I’m wondering: I think you are a smart and thoughtful guy and I think Bob is a smart and thoughtful guy. Why have you decided to go with a hydrogenerator while Bob has decided to go with solar panels?
    The main difference is that the field of view is wider in the second one.

I'm not sure what drove Bob's decision process. Mine was both informed and opportunistic. There are many ways to go about this. For me, it is about redundancy. In other words, having multiple options to charge the batteries, regardless of conditions, and failure of course. So there was always going to be a combination of multiple systems: fuel/engine/alternator, solar, wind turbine, hydrogenerator.

We just happened to come across a "used" hydrogenerator (thanks Dave!). Then Rob T (thanks!) helped secure a second used one. I also have 275 Watts of solar panels. And the alternator is 115 Amps. So, the plan is an hydrogenerator for each tack. If one fails I can always swap. If both fail maybe I can scavenge parts from each and still have one working. I'm not sure what I'll do with the solar panels in terms of keeping them mobile or installing permanently (unlikely).

I don't have an electricity budget of my own. In Andrew Evans' book, Michael Hennessy says that his budget is 200 Amps/day for his Class40, or 8 1/3 Amps/ hr. I use that as my basis, untill I come down with a personalized budget. A 300 Watt hydrogenerator generates 8 Amps at 5 kts and it goes up from there. So that's right on the money. At 8 kts it's about twice that.

Now, unlike solar panels, hydrogenerators are quite demanding on a boat like Changabang. One needs to swap the propeller to match conditions. Then if inactive it needs to be secured up. They're in a place that's not exactly practical. The manufacturer also recommends a maintenance every 10,000 miles. They may take a good amount of beating with all the bouncing/banging that Changabang does upwind. Or a big breaking wave on the stern could take both of them away.

If the hydrogenerators work then I'm golden as long as I manage to avoid burning the converter (which is what stopped Joe Harris' attempt and he stopped for the first time in South Africa). If they both fail then I'm down to the solar panels/engine. Let's say that a worst case scenario on the solar panels is 50% efficiency for 6 hours and nothing else during the day/night. So that's about 55 Amps, maybe? I'd have to turn a lot of stuff off ... I can supplement with the engine. I think it burns 1/2 gallon per hour, which may give me about 75 Amps? My fuel tank is about 10.5 gallons. There are a bunch of jerry cans, to allow for a refill. So I have about 40 hours of charging with the engine.

A good battery monitor would help with all this exercise. There's one on Changabang but we think it may have gone South. It's still all a puzzle :-)

Chabang is quite a speedy sailboat and a challenge to learn about. I look forward to reading about what it takes to get the skipper and boat into top notch racing trim. So far so good.

Keep up the good work!

Ants