Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

I think there is a minimum bend radius...? 4x the line diameter, so 1" for 1/4" line.
    Would something like this from Colligo be useful between the pin and the lashing?
    When I called, the owner of this company picks up the phone and is helpful.

Name:  colligo_.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  30.9 KB

The damaged strands were buried and not available for visual inspection.
    I researched the minimum radius and there's a long thread on sailing anarchy that's interesting.
    Name:  PXL_20230527_004716232.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  2.61 MB

There are many thing that can go wrong. As Todd pointed out the turn radius is a big factor. Rigging fitting from companies like Colligo are a great way to go. However I have seen many many lashing terminations like this that have no issues. One thing is how they are "bed" in. The fibers need on off pressure to the bulk of the fibers to cary the load and not point load on just some. There were load cycles that we have to follow for a Future Fibers backstay loop to bed/set it in. I had a synthetic forestay attachment at the head on my boat and I only changed it out twice in 10 years. However it was taken apart several times for inspection in between. 5-6 years is way to long for a structural attachment on a boat that size/loads. You are talking about what... $30-50 of Amsteel there? I wouldn't go to the Farallones let alone around the world until ALL of those stainless fitting are removed, clean, polished and taken to a place to do non-destructive testing on them.

Well, today I was splicing Dyneema and struggling to get my fid in to burry the tail of a locked eye splice. After looking closely a strand was cut and tucked in. This was likely done during fabrication as nothing was visible on the outside and the strands were all even. I've reached out to New England ropes to get some explanation ...

Name:  PXL_20230702_194054821.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  2.40 MB

It seems like I may be the only member who intends to sail around the world and NOT RACE. If I wanted to race, I'd get a fast car. I raced my entire working life and now I'm heading off for a leisurely, three-year circumnavigation. Maybe I could start a race to see who could circumnavigate in the longest period of time.. Ya think?