Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddArnold View Post
    One of my favorite solo sailing books and it is not on the usual lists, so hopefully a new one for you: "Moxie" by Philip Weld https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3650640-moxie
    Thank you, purchased!

I believe CC is a very early generation design of a C40 too. Also, CC isn't rated using the water ballast which which change the rating quite a bit if included.

In years past Condor has raced with two certificates - one for full crew and another for shorthanded (smaller kites, etc.) This is a good idea for a big, powered-up boat like that.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-16-2021 at 11:35 AM.

I used to wonder why I was being told to watch for halyard chafe. I figured, well, if it hasn't chafed so far, why would it start chafing now? Well, for the usual reason: because things break.

My jib halyard started showing chafe marks near the shackle. I went up the rig and discovered that the sheave had broken a bit on the side. And now I find myself trying to find a similar size sheave with no luck!
    OD: 75 mm
    ID: 16-18 mm
    Width: 14.5 mm

I'm stuck. Suggestions for repairs/replacements? I was thinking of grinding the sharp edges away.

Name:  PXL_20210928_001859834.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  1.31 MB

My suggestion would be to put the sheave in a lathe and turn it into a slightly smaller outside diameter without the broken section. As the material get removed on the lathe, there would be some indication if the material is still good or whether the materials has aged and lost its strength. If it turns smoothly, then it may be worthwhile to reuse. If the material fractures, then time for new material.

Ants

Thanks for the suggestion. Someone posted on my blog that these guys make custom sheaves ... An order will be made soon ��

Comment:
    Don Green at https://dreamgreen.org/ can replicate your sheave at a very reasonable price. I've had him make new sheaves for reefing lines in my boom. He is located in Virginia and was very responsive to my inquires.

Dennis
    s/v Ferrity

I did a quick check and kt seems many sheaves in standard sizes were less than $20 each. If you could not find the exact size, I could turn an oversize one to your dimensions for a nominal bottle of wine fee (delivered while sailing - the detail).

I guess the travel to collect is not in my favor, but so it goes.

Ants

RigRite.com has a good selection of sheaves.
    Make sure you have an accurate dimension of the axle. 18mm sheave i.d. on a 16mm axle is a sloppy fit.

They had exactly what I needed for the double jib halyards on Nightmare.

I have a lathe as well if you need something machined.
    A new aluminum sheave will be hard anodized to prevent corrosion.
    If you turn a larger one down the coating will be removed and the raw alloy will corrode over time.

Your sheave may be delrin or acetal. Note the color of the chipped area. Aluminum would be silver.
    Might be able to turn that one down.
    The i.d. may have had a bronze bushing insert.

Thanks, guys. I couldn't find anything standard (incl. rigrite). I got a pair of custom sheaves. But, when I tried them on the shaft, the hole was too small. Picked up the calipers to cross-check and sure enough, they were not done right. Trying to resolve this with the seller now ��
    I need a few tenths of mm more ...

I’ve had good results from isheaves.com for a custom designed sheave for the RoG. $$$ however.