Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Default Around the World from West coast?

If I'm not mistaken the only single handed non stop circumnavigation sailing race/event is the Vendée Globe. This event requires a significant budget.
    I think that there are a couple other events this year as well.
    Has there been any consideration in the past to host such an event from the US? By the SSS or others? How about looking at the future?
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-17-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Well, besides the Vendee, there is the semi-centennial Golden Globe which starts from France in 136 days... http://goldengloberace.com/

There was an interesting proposal a few years back as I recall for a RTW race from the west coast where you could go nonstop, or pull into port for supplies/crew change - the clock was always ticking. I'm sure someone remembers more.

Once upon a time, maybe a decade ago, I cooked up an idea for something that I called the CrossPac. It was a three-leg trip from California to Newcastle, Australia with stops in Hawaii and Samoa. Each leg was roughly 2,000 miles. The hope was to hook up with the Melbourne-Osaka, and then do a race from Japan to California. The whole circuit was to be called "The Rim".

Mighty few people were interested and it fizzled. Also, the timing was very difficult. Melbourne-Osaka starts in March and takes roughly a month/40 days to get to Osaka. If a mid- May race was held from Japan to California, that would be doable. However, a northern-hemisphere-summer race from CA- HI - Samoa - Newcastle puts racers approaching Australia in the southern hemisphere winter, not so good. Then, you have to wait six months to do the Melboure-Osaka event. It just didn't work out, nobody was much interested and that was that.

I might mention that ALL the interest.... ALL of it was from Aussies. ONE US-based boat expressed interest, and they weren't really serious.
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-14-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    There was an interesting proposal a few years back as I recall for a RTW race from the west coast where you could go nonstop, or pull into port for supplies/crew change - the clock was always ticking. I'm sure someone remembers more.
    I believe this might be Jimmy Cornell who was organizing a round the world rally (http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/co...r-amateurs-324). I had signed up to receive the emails for a while, but wasn't ready just yet to leave the dock lines....

Cree and Jim Antrim promoted the SF2SF Race in 2012.
    http://norcalsailing.com/entries/201...l#.WoWdlWW3lbw

http://www.berkeleymarine.com/news/sf2sf-ocean-race

This never seemed to reach synergy, but it was proffered....

Judging from the state of that web site ... It's not active much (it's been hacked) ... They were going to charge $20,000 for the race ...

I'm interested :-)

Of course I may feel different after crossing to Hawaii ...

Anyone else? Solo non stop ...

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Having witnessed what Bruce Schwab went through and had to do to his life to race a 60 foot boat solo around the world twice, I have to say that I'm not interested.

Cruise the Pacific on my own schedule? You bet. Blast around the world as fast as possible, spending millions of dollars in the process? Selling my privacy and marginalizing my integrity to raise the money to do it? No. As in No FF'ing way.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"