Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Go, Philippe! It sounds like you are on the verge of ... dare I say it ... having another grand adventure. I’ll bet Changabang is not insulated and maybe a bit cold early in the morning, but it’s colder up here. Now’s your chance to be “just a little bit miserable”. Bundle up and good luck. See you soon. Jackie

We should be leaving soon. I happened to have a buddy from my time with Clipper here and she's coming along for the ride.
    We're Destination Evian on AIS.

Good on ya, Philippe!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Good on ya, Philippe!
    Off we are.

Doing good progress TWS 7-10, AWA 60-80 ... But the buoy off Point Conception shows lots of wind, which is strange:
    https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=ptgc1
    And I'm sure we're dragging kelp :-)

The offset twin rudders on Changabang are mounted far outboard, and with it's flat bottom the machine is a kelp magnet. A serrated blade on a long pole will need to be part of the gear for sailing in these waters.

Philippe and crew appear to be having a great ride up the coast. 10+ kts of wind from the SW with a 6’ swell on a 10 second period. At 7.7 kts SOG, it is not likely they are motoring. But with only 10kts of wind they’re likely to be flying an a-sym or code zero or something.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...NATION%20EVIAN
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

It was a wet and windy night here at CBC on the coast of Monterey Bay....Saw CHANGABANG on AIS making good speed north, 12 knots at times, until 8 a.m. this morning. 4 miles SW of Half Moon Bay, PJ and Kathy have come to a near stop, even reversing course. Hoping it's just a sail change and they are underway again soon for SF Bay.

As I write this PJ has called. They are under staysail alone, wind 20 knots..The problem is the cockpit engine throttle no longer works...I suggested looking at the throttle cable attachment at the engine. Perhaps the clevis pin has dropped out or the cable has broken.. or they can fashion a temp. cable with light line to a cleat.

Entering HMB under sail is a possibility, but not a good one with the wind being fresh and onshore. I suggested they carry on to SF Bay, try and fix the throttle enroute. And if no joy, there is the possibility of picking up a mooring at SYC or CYC, or getting a tow to safe harbor. We'll see what develops.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-15-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    It was a wet and windy night here at CBC on the coast of Monterey Bay....Saw CHANGABANG on AIS making good speed north, 12 knots at times, until 8 a.m. this morning. 4 miles SW of Half Moon Bay, PJ and Kathy have come to a near stop, even reversing course. Hoping it's just a sail change and they are underway again soon for SF Bay.
    Maybe turning into the wind to take sails down before entering HMB harbor?

Per their AIS track, they are safely in Pillar Point Harbor (HMB) having made excellent time up the coast. The track shows they probably came in under sail, made a few tacks back and forth before going for an end-tie on H-dock. They then moved slowly (under bare poles?) to a slip on the south side of G-dock.
    Tom P.