Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Delta Boatyards

https://www.deltaboating.com/boatyard.htm

i've written about the ones on Bethel Island. I don't know anything about the yard in Antioch.

Pacific Boat Services in Stockton allows DIY.

https://www.pacificboatservices.com/
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-12-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

There is a do it yourself yard here in Brookings, Oregon. You must have insurance. Round trip haul-out fee is $600 and yard days are $60/day for the first week, then $50/day until 1 month, then $30 a day thereafter, retroactive. So if you're out for a month its $30/day for the entire time.
    No one here hires the work done. Better to do it yourself and save some money.

I believe Moss Landing allows DIY work, or it did. On your boat is likely 20 min south with the A0 up.

Quick update: no restart this year; I found a good job. Not likely next year either. So 2024. See freeze-dried food for sale in the for sale section.
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...-the-2023-SHTP!

If you have structural lashings keeping your rig up ... It could be worth checking them out. Here's a picture of Changabang's headstay lashing after 5-6 years ...
    I was told it would be an easy job to release the turnbuckle to loosen the headstay and gain access to the lashing. That couldn't be further from the true. Turning those turnbuckles was some serious work. And getting the lashing just the right length was a matter of many trials. I think it may be a little too long. We'll see what a sea trial says ...
    Name:  PXL_20230527_161144785.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  3.29 MB

Is that RUST? Philippe, tell me that isn't rust! Rusty Dyneema. Sounds like a contestant on the World Wide Wrestling circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    If you have structural lashings keeping your rig up ... It could be worth checking them out. Here's a picture of Changabang's headstay lashing after 5-6 years ...
    I was told it would be an easy job to release the turnbuckle to loosen the headstay and gain access to the lashing. That couldn't be further from the true. Turning those turnbuckles was some serious work. And getting the lashing just the right length was a matter of many trials. I think it may be a little too long. We'll see what a sea trial says .
    Maintaining turnbuckles on a regular basis is good practice. Never know when they might have to be unscrewed to replacing a failing shroud or to release a mast over the side. Usually the headstay is the last to let go. Tell us PJ if the failing headstay lashing is at the stem/bow fitting, or at the waterline holding the bobstay. If at the waterline, I could see it being vulnerable to collisions with floating objects.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Tell us PJ if the failing headstay lashing is at the stem/bow fitting, or at the waterline holding the bobstay. If at the waterline, I could see it being vulnerable to collisions with floating objects.
    The lashing goes to the bow fitting. After closer inspection, four strands were cut clear and 3 others partially frayed in one spot. Other spots were damaged but not as bad.

The rust comes from the pin holding the lashing on the bow fitting. Arguably that piece could be refinished.
    Name:  PXL_20230528_195705642~2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  852.8 KB
    Last edited by jamottep; 05-28-2023 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    The lashing goes to the bow fitting. After closer inspection, four strands were cut clear and 3 others partially frayed in one spot. Other spots were damaged but not as bad. The rust comes from the pin holding the lashing on the bow fitting. Arguably that piece could be refinished.
    Name:  PXL_20230528_195705642~2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  852.8 KB
    If the lashing goes to the bow fitting, and there are 7 strands either cut or frayed. 1) this is in plain sight, why not noticed? 2) Is there something sharp or abrasive wearing the dyneema lashing? A headstay lashing should not have much movement in any direction and little chafe. Something needing chafe relief appears to need attention at the bow fitting. But you already knew that. Lucky the headstay lashing didn't fail and the mast fall backwards.

Would a thimble have helped?