Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    I’ve had good results from isheaves.com for a custom designed sheave for the RoG. $$$ however.
    Thanks, I ended up manually sanding the hole and all is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Thanks, I ended up manually sanding the hole and all is good now.
    Not so fast ... I went up the mast and tried to install one of the custom sheaves. The shaft goes through the sheave; the shaft goes through the mast. The shaft does not go through the mast and the sheave ... Well, more precisely it does go through both one way but not the other (the way it has to go). Mistery.

I used to wonder why I was being told to watch for halyard chafe. I figured, well, if it hasn't chafed so far, why would it start chafing now? Well, for the usual reason: because things break.

My jib halyard started showing chafe marks near the shackle. I went up the rig and discovered that the sheave had broken a bit on the side. And now I find myself trying to find a similar size sheave with no luck!
    OD: 75 mm
    ID: 16-18 mm
    Width: 14.5 mm

I'm stuck. Suggestions for repairs/replacements? I was thinking of grinding the sharp edges away.

Attachment 6884
    For those wondering how the sheave broke: the tack got loose when hoisting the job and when pulling the last bit hard, nothing stopped the head from hitting the sheave.

Not so fast ... I went up the mast and tried to install one of the custom sheaves. The shaft goes through the sheave; the shaft goes through the mast. The shaft does not go through the mast and the sheave ... Well, more precisely it does go through both one way but not the other (the way it has to go). Mistery.
    Thanks to Ants for helping bore the sheave further. Lesson learned: even though something looks out of sorts on the boat, there probably is a good reason for it and if I try to improve things I'm in for surprises.

I was looking at the cost of a bottom job for Changabang as the last one done is already coming to the end of its life. It's really never stopped any growth but now, it's more like providing a fertile environment for marine growth!

I noticed that the rate for paintwork is now going at $160/hr in the Bay Area. So this is not a thread about this rate. It's a question about where I could go South or North the Coast to find boatyards with more affordable rates. Any suggestion is welcome!

Moss Landing
    Napa
    Bethel Island

I was looking at the cost of a bottom job for Changabang as the last one done is already coming to the end of its life. It's really never stopped any growth but now, it's more like providing a fertile environment for marine growth!

I noticed that the rate for paintwork is now going at $160/hr in the Bay Area. So this is not a thread about this rate. It's a question about where I could go South or North the Coast to find boatyards with more affordable rates. Any suggestion is welcome!
    About Bethel Island...

I both called and dropped by Bethel Harbor and talked to the harbormaster about hauling out there. Now, my boat is small and not glamorous, but even though I was polite and physically stood in front of the harbormaster (harbormistress) and talked to her no phone calls or inquiries were ever returned. Also, not sure that there's enough water for Changabang, there.

Diablo Boatworks is also on Bethel Island. Ramon is a very nice guy, the prices are good but the yard is truly tiny. ~Tiny~. Again, I doubt that there's enough water in the slough to get Changabang up there. On the mainland, across from Bethel Island is the Marine Emporium. Right now the yard is absolutely packed, he stores a lot of Delta powerboats in the yard during the off-season. I have seen a couple of pretty good sized sailboats in the yard, but to get to Marine Emporium without dropping the mast, you'll have to take the same slough around the SW side of Bethel Island, as you'd be taking to get to Diablo Boatworks. It's possible that you could get in there at a high tide, but I have my doubts.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I've been to Napa Valley Marina.

People there were good to work with.
    DIY rates were good. One of the few yards to offer this.
    Chandlery costs were a bit inflated and paint must be purchased from them or pay $10 per foot corkage fee.

Getting up the Napa river was tricky with the 6 feet of draft Nightmare had.

There are spots of 7-10 feet MLLW on the chart.
    instructions from them are here; https://www.napavalleymarina.com/directions-by-water

Check with the marina for the haulout. They use an adjustable hydraulic trailer and depth may be a problem at the ramp.

Yes, the 10 foot draft is a problem.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Anything up North? Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I've been to Napa Valley Marina.
    They can't handle a 9+ ft draft.