Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Small steps at a time ... https://pjsails.com/back-home/

Who knows the timing of these things - certainly not me.

Maybe the kickoff leg will include the SHTP and a second sendoff from Hanalei Bay.

Good stuff: https://pjsails.com/money-doubts-weather-and-updates/
    Consider subscribing to the blog.

I am glad read about the purchase and shipment. Also, I have not followed all the postings so there may be information that I missed.

I am unclear on when shipping will be complete, how much local preparation is desired, and if a west coast departure is based on a weather window that considers the full circumnavigation route. The latest blog presented anticipated shipping but looked at weather Windows for November.

Maybe, I am assuming there is more of a plan than I read.

Good news on the progress so far. I am sure there will be a bunch of SSS folk that want a ride before formal departure (including me).

Ants

Shipping is tentatively set for January 20-30, with an arrival a month or so later in San Diego or Stockton if I'm lucky. There'll be imports and other paperwork duties. Then a bottom job before putting her back in the water.

Actual RTW start will be Fall 2021. I don't have a plan for what I'll do until then. I plan to work until end of September 2021.

Most likely I'll first berth her in Redwood City to go through everything I got. Then day sail out of HMB, maybe. Then try an offshore weekend and moving up from there.

The deep draft is very limiting in the Bay. I don't know of a deep water marina. Does anyone?

Oh my, my! Dura Mater will sail up/down to Stockton to show you the way home. She knows where all the shallow places are in the Delta. Those will be wonderful photos of you on your open 40 with the beautiful farmland as background. My fingers are crossed. And her name?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    The deep draft is very limiting in the Bay. I don't know of a deep water marina. Does anyone?
    What’s the draft? Probably not very convenient for you, but Marina Bay Yacht Harbor, Richmond claims: “With a 12-foot deep entrance channel all but the deepest draft boats are free from having to worry about the tide.” I think it’s deeper in the marina than in the entrance channel.

Also, The Sugar Dock in Pt. Richmond has deep water access.
    Tom P.

Class 40 rules call for a draft of max 3 meters when loaded. Let's call it 10 feet.

About convenience: I think there are two parts to that:
    1. How far away the marina is from Redwood City;
    2. How close the marina is from a sailing area where depth is not an issue at all tides.

For example, Redwood City marina is great for #1, not so much for #2 :-)
    Last edited by jamottep; 12-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.

I doubt Coyote Point, the Oysters or Brisbane will satisfy #2 either. . .

Coyote Point DOES have berths that can handle this, but I don't think they're "open" right now. After years of having acres of open berths I think all the big slots at Coyote Point are finally full. However, there are some pretty deep berths on the very outside of dock 13 that might work. 13-334, 335, 336, 337.

Also the 45-foot upwind slips on Dock 29 might work. Maybe. All of these are "out in the wind" and not sheltered by the hill that keeps most of Coyote Point calm during blasting summer winds. There's a shallow spot just north of the entrance channel, out at the first red marker which will give you headaches at low tide.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"