Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

And now that I managed to get liability insurance for the boat, it's the management team for the Redwood Landing marina who is telling me that they won't give me a slip because the owner is not a US resident. This despite having been with these folks for the past 7 years.

The "fun" just never stops ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    And now that I managed to get liability insurance for the boat, it's the management team for the Redwood Landing marina who is telling me that they won't give me a slip because the owner is not a US resident. This despite having been with these folks for the past 7 years.

The "fun" just never stops ...
    hahaha. That is just silly. I'll talk to them.

Have you talked to a customs broker? They should be able to tell you everything you need to know about the import process, forms, procedures... Also I'm pretty sure in your situation (commercial shipment) you will need to do this. According to some info i received, it may be possible to avoid by taking possession and doing the paperwork yourself, but you would only save yourself the broker fee (almost nothing) and the bond fee .4%

I used David Lee at DCL (contact below) in oakland, he was helpful, knowledgeable and a great guy. Also his fee was absurdly low. I had to ask him like 10 times, is that really all? You will likely end up paying at least 2 probably 3 fees. Broker fee, was negligable in my case. Bond fee, this was $4/$1000 in purchase price, or .4% You may also have to pay import duty if the boat has never been imported to the US. Mine was built in the US so i did not end up paying this. My understanding is the fee is 1.5% of the purchase price. When you register the boat in CA they will take another 10 percent or so.

I just did this recently, so feel free to reach out with any questions.

-tim

Broker info
    =================
    David C. Lee,

DCL CUSTOMHOUSE BROKERS
    916 23RD AVE
    OAKLAND, CA 94606
    TEL# 510-533-0127
    FAX# 510-533-0140
    ================
    Last edited by redtim; 01-24-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    On this point you need to do further research. CA does not require DMV licensing just because you are a CA resident. The state licensing requirements in the US vary by state. Unlike some state, CA does not require DMV licensing for documented vessels. I understand you can’t do USCG Documentation, but could you document the boat in Belgium, or another EU country? Then all you would need is a Cruising License.
    Tom insisted and he appears to be correct. This specifically states that foreign vessels do not need to be registered with the state: http://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28731

Winner? It sounds then that I will need to transfer the boat to me then flag her in Belgium.

Philippe, is this still your course? How about Mac & Cheese? Scones don't have egg or milk products: they last a long time. Yes, Yes. Of course. I'll use dried fruit.

Name:  Earth-Circumnavigation-course.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  164.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Philippe, is this still your course? How about Mac & Cheese? Scones don't have egg or milk products: they last a long time. Yes, Yes. Of course. I'll use dried fruit.
    Yes, no change of course :-)
    Not sure I understand the other questions?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Isn't a West circumnavigation doing it the hard way?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Isn't a West circumnavigation doing it the hard way?
    David, this is the person who asked, "Don't you want to be JUST A LITTLE miserable?"