So I had to transfer paperwork to me when I bought Double Espresso. No biggie, CA registered title transfer, a bunch of forms (signed by both parties) and voila: my boat, my MMSI, my EPIRB, my VHF, etc.

The problem I have with CaB (Changabang) is that (from what I gathered here and there):

1. I'm not a US citizen (Can't USCG document CaB);
2. CA will require the boat to be CA registered after 3 months;
3. France will not allow you to transfer an MMSI obtained from the French government to a non-French flagged boat;
4. Hardware manufacturer sometimes only allow you to set the MMSI once yourself (after it's dealer intervention);
5. The same applies to the EPIRB identification (I think that the first 3 digits represent the country, which is where the response center will go for details about the boat).

I think my plan will be:

0. Radiate Cab from France;
1. Register CaB with CA DMV;
2. Confirm where to update hardware;
3. Get new MMSI and identifiers where required.

I think the above will allow me to use the existing AIS transponder. I'm not sure about the other satellite-based emergency devices.

I do have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" from the FCC. I do not think I require more for the type of VHF I will have aboard CaB.

I think the above will still allow emergency services to operate as they should.

As usual, I'm a newbie, trying to make a plan. Feel free to course correct :-)

Thinking of it ... There may be another plan ... right before leaving I switch the flag back to France ... and voila all is good :-)

P.S.: the radar was replaced for the Route du Rhum but I guess not updated with French authorities (good catch :-)